Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Thursday in Texas

Thursday morning I got up, had breakfast and then went for a 2 1/2 mile walk around Joe and Molly's neighborhood. Those are Texas miles. With the extra heat and humidity that equals about 4 California miles. That's the only exercise I got this week. I could have walked at the ranch but I didn't want to meet any of their dangerous critters. Sitting in a rocking chair on the brand new wrap-around porch watching the birds somehow became the most important thing that I could possibly do. More about that later.

Dad and Joe took off on some errands and were still gone by the time us wimmin left to go to the ranch. We went to lunch at Chili's and then headed for the H.E.B. in Hondo. Ruth waited in the car while Molly, Maryann and I shopped. That was actually kind of fun.

When we got to the ranch Dad and Joe were already there. I asked Dad if he had taken his meds and he said he hadn't. Guess what? He LEFT them at Molly's. When he and Joe got back after running errands he packed up his bags and left the meds and vitamins at the Butchers. The ranch is 70 miles away. We thought either Chris or Daniel would be able to bring them but as it turned out they didn't show up until Saturday. So, ok, if Dad is careful with his eating he'll be able to get by. Yeah, right.

Every time I tried to steer him away from high carb foods he turned into a snotty brat. He was showing off in front of the relatives. When he's having a casual conversation with somebody he can cover the Alzheimer's pretty well. He thinks he's looking pretty good, like the old Stan. So when I have to step in and remind him that he doesn't have his meds and maybe he shouldn't eat that handful of chips he either gets cute (not the good kind of cute) and cocky or he snaps at me. He had to prove he was the big man by putting me in my place. I should remind him that someday I just might put him in a place.

When I wasn't taking abuse from Dad I was having a pretty good time. The new big porch is just wonderful. There are sooooo many birds out there and they're singing constantly. Joe and I hand fed some pellet treats to the cows. I walked around the tank (California translation; pond) and checked out the fish and the froggies. It rained a lot before we came so there were wild flowers everywhere.

I can't say enough about the new porch. The ranch is a nice place to visit but the house isn't great and there is no good place to sit in the yard. It can get pretty hot out there. If you have a lot of people visiting it gets crowded. The porch really makes a big difference in being able to enjoy being at the ranch. It's huge! You can fit a lot of people on it. It's shady and there are 4 ceiling fans so if there's no breeze you can switch them on and it's quite comfortable. The view out to the tank is just wonderful. You couldn't really enjoy it before. The next time my sibs visit the ranch they will be astounded and amazed.

This is getting long. I'll write more later.

No comments: