Friday, May 20, 2005

I could be in big trouble

Today Dad left the water running on the trees for about 5 hours. He watered them yesterday for four hours, both times in the middle of the day. When I went over there to tell him it needed to be turned off Timio was there and Dad was on the phone. He was trying to read off a credit card number so he could purchase something. No, first he was trying to use a business card for the transaction. Tomio handed him his credit card and Dad continued on with that. He had a LOT of trouble trying to give the number, expiration date and the code number on the back of the card. I asked Timio what he was buying. He said machetes to trim the trees. I asked him how much. Ninety bucks for two machetes.

Somehow Dad managed to finish the transaction. He went out to shut off the water and Timio went down the alley to his house. I went around the front and met Timio at the end of the driveway. I did the forbidden thing. I told Timio that Dad has Alzheimer's.

I told him that Dad is losing money trying to keep the farm going. I told him he should probably start thinking about where he and his family are going to live after they leave the farm. I told him the water rates are going up. I told him the barnyard needs to be cleaned up. I told him lots of stuff and he listened.

He can see that Dad is having problems. He said he knew that the farm was probably in trouble. He understood that he needs to get himself ready for the day when they'll need to leave. He also said he wouldn't tell Dad that I told him. He asked me what he should do if Dad tells him to buy something or hire people to do work. I told him to see if he can put him off a while but if Dad is insistent, Timio can go ahead and do what he asks. I don't know how else he could handle it without spilling the beans.

It was a good conversation. I told him I would keep him informed about any big changes. So now it's done. I've been wanting to do that for months.

2 comments:

vivage said...

Glad you did it. Gotta feel like a bit of weight is off your shoulders.
Ya know there will be a time where you'll have to tell him that everyone knows there is something wrong with him and that you (and the rest of thesibs) didn't have to tell anyone, they could see it themselves.

Donita Curioso said...

Yeah, that's it. I don't think he'd do it on purpose but you know how people can let things slip.

I didn't think Timio would have much of a problem with it. Dad just wouldn't let us tell him. I was very careful about what I said. I did mention that Dad would need the barnyard for a rental space. I think he's just going to leave. I'm pretty sure he was planning to do that anyway. A few months ago he was seeing a realtor so he must have something in the works.

Viv- Yeah, you're right. Jim and I were discusing that the other night. It's time for him to stop hiding it.