Sunday, May 22, 2005

Dancing with hippies.

Ooh, I've discovered a new fun thing. New to me anyway. It's actually hundreds of years old. It's Contra Dance. Contra comes from the word "country" and it originated in England.

Today I went to the Claremont Folk Festival. There were two workshops I wanted to take; African drumming and Contra Dance. I'd done a little reading on Contra Dance and it looked like something that would be a lot of fun and also be another way to exercise. I'm trying to find lots of different ways to exercise so I won't get bored.

It's kind of like square dancing but you change partners throughout the dance. It can be done in a square but it's not limited to just one formation. We did one dance where the couples were in a line but the rest were done in a circle. It's a pretty good workout and I enjoyed the social aspect of dancing with a big group and changing partners every few seconds. There's a group in Riverside that meets on the first Saturday of the month at All Saints church. I'm gonna go.

The African drumming workshop would have been a lot more fun if it weren't for this stoopid stoner guy who kept interrupting the teacher. He kept shouting out stuff like, "Tell, em about it! You the king!' While the rest of us were trying to learn the rhythms this guy was thumping off these bappata bappata things that weren't even on the beat. It wasn't even his drum. He had found it sitting on the ground and picked it up without asking the owner. Then he started blasting away on a slide whistle. Lucky for him he was in a group of hippies. Anyone else would have beat the crap out of him.

No comments: