Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Who calls me Doni?

I realized this morning I'm not hearing that lately. Jim always called me Doni. I almost never heard him say Donita. So there's another little piece that's missing.

Dad was the one who started that. I've been Doni to him since forever, except he spells it Donnie. Mom never, ever called me Doni. She had a very specific way of saying my name. She pronounced each syllable distinctly. My siblings never picked up the Doni thing. Drew called me Dita when he was little. I had one little cousin call me Dotinee. When I first worked with Steve Caspar he called me Donahtee. On the first day of school my teachers always called me Denise. My teachers couldn't read.

All my Northern California friends call me Doni. Lorraine calls me Don. Jeff shortened it to Do. I'm disappearing! Bro-in-law David calls me Doni. I like hearing him say it. It's comfortable.

Anyway, it just kind of hit me. During all my years with Jim I heard Doni many times a day. Now it's down to almost zero.

When I get some grandkids I'll have them call me Doni. Grandma ain't a good fit for me. My grandmothers were Nana and Granny. I'll be Doni.

8 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

It's just one of those things. It has to feel right. Lots of people who are very close to me never picked it up. And I wouldn't want them to start now just because I'm missing it a little. It would be too forced. Well, if they wanted to it would be ok. Call me Donita, call me Doni, just don't call me late for dinner!

Anonymous said...

Hi Doni!

Donita Curioso said...

If you ever started calling me Doni I'd think you were part of some evil plot like maybe you turned into a pod person. Your eyes would glow red.

Donita Curioso said...

Woo-hoo, Jim and I made it on camera on the Trucker show tonight. If you have Tivo you can see us at the bottom of the screen right after the Hitchiker Of The Week segment. I'm wearing a red shirt and as they pull the camera back I'm putting my arm around Jim.

vivage said...

Finally, I can see the word verification!

So did you record the show? I need to find the channel it's on and watch it, it's on Wed nights?

Donita Curioso said...

Wednesday nights on Comedy Central. If you have Dish Network it's on at 7:30 and 9:30. I'll send you the link to their website. You can see clips there, including the segment where you can see Jim and me.

Anonymous said...

Actually, Kyle calls you Doni alot when we speak of you- I think he got it from Jim. Jim was one of Kyle's biggest fans- and vice versa!-and I think they bonded big time when you guys took Kyle in and Jim wasn't the only "guy" in the house anymore! Thank you again for everything you and Jim have done for my boy!

Donita Curioso said...

You're so welcome. I love having him around. I like his Kyleness. I remember the first time he called me Doni. I thought, "Oh, cool".

I've got a name that people stumble over. Even a couple people I've known for years and years seem thrown by it. There's a certain hesitation when they speak my name.

I'm named after my mother, Delores, my grandmother, Anita, and my aunt Ruth (my
middle name). Great role models all.

Here's a limerick that Jim made up.

There once was a girl named Donita
On her foot she wore an Adita
She had only one
And so said her hon
Do you need an Adita, Donita?

Hee, hee! Jim funny.