Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Jonathan Coulton

Last night Lindsay and I went to San Diego to see Jonathan Coulton at the House of Blues. Good show. Just a guy and his guitar. It was great!

We've been listening to him for a few months now. His songs are musically wonderful and very funny. His singing style is sweet and romantic, which is cool because he hits you with lyrics that you just wouldn't expect from your typical balladeer.

When we got into downtown San Diego it was right at rush hour. The narrow streets were absolutely crammed with cars and many, MANY buses. Plus they had things blocked off for their lame-o Mardi Gras celebration. It looked to us like it was just a bunch of drunks on top of trucks and buses all wearing silly hats and beads. There was no way I was going to even try to find a place to park on the street. We used the mondo expensive-o ($20) parking garage.

The show was supposed to start at 7. We decided to have dinner at the House of Blues. When they sat us at our table the manager explained that the show had been bumped back 2 hours. He gave us some lame excuse about Coulton having transportation troubles but we later found out it was because they were serving dinner in the room where he was performing and they wanted to make sure they could get everyone out before the show. Anyway, because of the wait he comped us an appetizer and 2 desserts. So, ok. Lordy we were STUFFED.

After dinner we still had an hour to kill so we went for a walk and checked out the Mardi Gras scene. It was all fenced off. You had to pay twenty bucks to get in so we just peeked through the fence for a few minutes and then left. We went to a nearby mall. Dean, you took me there when I visited you in SD about 20 years ago. This thing looks like Disneyland. We poked around for a little bit and then went back to the HOB. We were almost the first in line. We got front row seats. Heh! I think maybe 30 people actually showed up. Coulton's not that well-known yet. So, it was a very intimate and friendly concert. He had an audience of fans. Sometimes it was almost a sing-along.

Lindsay and Kyle are going to see his show in L.A. tonight. That one doesn't start until 11:00. Too late for me. Going to the show last night was good for me. Must do more of that.

I suggest listening to-

Millionaire Girlfriend
I feel Fantastic
Mandelbrot Set -Jim's favorite
Skull Crusher Mountain
Shop Vac
Code Monkey
Ikea
and my favorite, First Of May (adults only)

That's a good start.

7 comments:

vivage said...

Hey, I ate at that HofB last year.

I'll have to check out his music, I like melodic stuff (which I am assuming from "sweet and romantic").

To do a link in the new blogger, type in what you want to call the link and then highlight that text. Click on the link button right above your text box between the italic and the quotation marks. It will automatically put the code in your text box. I hope that helps.

Anonymous said...

Yippee -- I have tickets to see him in Portland on Friday. Thanks for the heads up on that. I'm going with a couple of new musician friends who (whom?) I think will also appreciate his style.

And...I know this is the wrong thread, but I have to say that "pudding" and "mussels" are two words that should never be used in the same sentence...

Love you.

Donita Curioso said...

Virginia- Well, he can sing in a sweet and romantic way but he can also rock it up.

Link button? I don't see no stinkin' link button.

Michele- Cool! I'm glad you're going to see him.

Dean made up the term "pudding mussels". Normally I would agree that those two words shouldn't be used together but I think it's a good description for these tres fabu mussels of ecstasy.

Dean- I can see how Horton Plaza would be a nightmare at Christmas time.

Donita Curioso said...

Yay! I did it! I found the instructions. Hoo boy, I'm gonna link like crazy now!

vivage said...

Button, button, who's got the button? I guess Donita does!

And there is no way in hell I am ever going to try anything that is described by the words mussel pudding.

Donita Curioso said...

No, no, no, not mussel pudding. Mussel pudding is an entirely different thing. I mean, ew, gross! But it would be a great name for a band.

Pudding mussels are those green mussles they have at sushi restaurants. Certainly you've had them. They broil them with this creamy, cheesy kind of topping and then they sprinkle on green onions and those teeny, orange fish eggs. At Akina they offer them with crab meat on top. Freakin' delish.

vivage said...

Nope, never had them. Not really a sushi kind of gal, no matter what my ethnicity might suggest. LOL.