Saturday, February 03, 2007

Some overwhelm

Today was house cleaning day. It was also the day to get the studio organized. We moved a lot of things out. Jim's keyboards are still in here. The apartment still isn't secure. But at least things are better organized for now. We moved the bed out to make space for Rory's desk and tv. The kids moved the giftwrap and mailing tubes out to the apartment.

When that was done I wanted to get started boarding up the windows on the apartment. All of a sudden it all was just too much. I can run the power tools and cut plywood and screw it all to the window frames. The kids would help, no problem. But they'd need too much directing and I just didn't have the energy or the brain power. I called Drew and Stacey (in tears) to ask if we can have a work day here next weekend. I need some adults here who just plain know what to do. We're Lang kids. We'll knock it out in an afternoon. I'll have the younguns help, of course. It would be a good learning experience for them anyway.

All I need to do is get the apartment secure and move the Hammonds out there. Oh, and the truck. We tried jumping it today. We were not successful.

So, today was kind of crappy. Oh yeah, Jim's dad called. We had a nice conversation. He says he's doing ok.

Stuckness. I don't like stuckness.

8 comments:

vivage said...

Easy does it cowgirl! You sound like you are working fast and furiously and your body is telling you to slow down, just a little.

Remember what Heidi told you? Breathe.

What's stuck?

Donita Curioso said...

Stuck. Like when something won't move. When something can't move. As in, "Help me, I'm stuck."

I didn't try to plow through. When I recognized it I just stopped for the day. It was good to make at least some progress.

But then I didn't know what to do with myself. I should watch movies. Regular tv is just too weird.

Donita Curioso said...

Um, is it a downer? I trust your judgment in movies but right now I'm looking for light, escapist fluff. But good fluff like The Philadelphia Story.

This Tuesday I'm going to a Craig Ferguson taping. The naked Trucker and T-Bones are going to be among the guests. I'm going by myself. As I was waking up this morning I was wondering why Jim wasn't going with me. Then it was, oh yeah, he's dead. That's the first time something like that has happened.

Jim really enjoyed that one Ferguson taping he went to. He talked about it all the time. I'm looking forward to going by myself and seeing Gruber and Andy.

vivage said...

I meant what is stuck? Are you stuck by not making progress getting things done or are you stuck because the battery won't charge or you're stuck in grief?

I wish I could go to see Craig Ferguson with you...I love him.

Look here for a list of 100 of the funniest movies: http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/laughs.aspx I don't agree with some of them (THE THIN MAN (1934))??? but most of them are pretty darned good.

Donita Curioso said...

Virginia- All three. It's mainly in internal thing. if I can't move forward on tangible things it makes the emotional stuff harder. It's an all-encompassing stuckness.

Thanks for the movie link. Yep, Craig Ferguson is a honey and a half.

Dean- How's this for fluff? This morning I watched Bewitched. Not the tv show. The movie with Will Farrel and Nicole Kidman. It's the stuff of fluff enuff. Actually, there were some pretty funny scenes in it.

Billy Canary said...

Rent a copy of It's a Mad, Mad World or Duck Soup.

Anonymous said...

What I like about you is you're not afraid to ask for help, and you know to stop when it's just not working. Good for you!
I also am a big fan of Craig Ferguson- wish I could go too!
Carl's philosophy when overwhelmed: "Just chip away at it and eventually it will be done". Hang in there Doni-

Donita Curioso said...

Bill- Good suggestions. Mad, Mad World is a good one. I saw Duck Soup recently.

Anne- I like that just keep chipping away at it thing. Taking things in little pieces makes things less scary sometimes. I wish you were here. We could go to Craig Ferguson together. We'd have to make Virginia take a day off work so she could go, too.