Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Keys

Today I went to the Chevy dealer to get some extra keys made for the van. Um, no, never mind. Keys for that car cost $50 apiece! I'm not going to spend fifty bucks on a key for a car that I'm not going to have for too much longer. I decied to go back to the hospital and try to get Jim's keys back. When we got his clothes from the hospital we got everything except his pants and his keys. I had asked there once before but no one could help me. This time a security guard took Jim's info and went down to the ER lost and found. She came back empty handed. She said everything from the ER goes into these big barrels that don't get brought up to Security until they're full. Sometimes they wait until they have three or four of them filled. I'll try again in about a week.

She was very nice to me. When I was leaving she apologized for not being able to help me more and touched my arm. I immediately got very choked up and hurried out of the hospital. I do appreciate it when people are kind but it's almost easier to get through the day when people are just effecient and business-like.

Jeez, fifty bucks for a damn key.

Then I went to Costco. I saw the freakin' trainload of flowers they had brought in for all those hoplessly romantic guys who wait until they've run out of motor oil, batteries and peanut butter to do their Valentine's Day shopping at Costco. I thought it might be nice to get some since the colors were so pretty. Well, the flowers were better viewed from a distance. It was a load of dead flowers! Most of the roses were either fully opened or they were tight as bullets and flopped over. They had carts of flowers all through the store and they all looked like crap. People were walking around with lost looks on their faces all hoping to score that one bouquet that was still reasonably alive.

Way in the back was one cart that hadn't yet been deployed. The flowers on this cart looked pretty good. I found some yellow roses. They're a nice, orangey yellow. I knew they would look good on the mantle in front of the blue wall in the living room.

Right again.

5 comments:

vivage said...

The flowers sound beautiful. I love cut roses, I love big bunches of flowers. Big giant ones of everything.

I think it's weird that you didn't get Jim's keys originally. It's also nice to hear of someone being kind; even if it chokes you up.

Donita Curioso said...

I should have dug them out of his pocket when I got his wallet. I just didn't think.

It was kind of nice when we had all those funeral flowers around the house. Jeanne sent a beautiful, very colorful bouquet. It really lit up the room. I think I'll buy flowers more often.

Actually, I was thinking of planting some. When Hector trimmed the pepper tree in front of our house he uncovered the bed where I grew tomatoes a couple years ago. I think I'll plant one tomato vine and some big, dramatic flowers.

I used to really enjoy gardening. Jim and I would do that together. I haven't really done much since we've been here. So, yeah, I'm ready to get my hands dirty and grow some pretty stuff.

vivage said...

I think it was the hospitals responsiblity to give you all of his stuff. I can't believe they didn't (grrrrrr)

Anonymous said...

Eep! I coulda toldja that about the keys! I thought yo knew! They've got a special chip thing in them that I guess makes it harder to steal the van. I'm glad that means the copies you did get made that didn't work weren't the expensive kind. I think I'll just give Rory my copy of the van key. I never use it.

I run into nice people every day. Then I start thinking, "Gee, even though one of the nicest guys in the world is gone, there're still a lot of nice people to help fill that void." And then I get weepy. Guh...I come from weepy parents, I don't stand a chance. =P

When I was at Trader Joe's last night, they had one of those E-Z up things with a bunch of boquets under it, but they also had those little mini roses in pots. It reminded me of this time at the grocery store with Paige and dad (we were pretty little) and dad wanted us to help him find a nice potted mini rose plant for you (for your anniversary or valentine's day or something.) He said he needed us to help him find a good one.

Donita Curioso said...

Aw... I love them teeny tiny roses. I can see him trying to pick one out with you girls.