Friday, February 23, 2007

Eyes not covered.

Crapola. This morning I went to Kaiser for an eye exam and they told me I'm not covered for vision care. Why didn't they tell me that when I made the friggin appointment? I wasn't feeling all that zippy this morning so when I was told I wasn't covered I almost started to cry. I wasn't expecting that. I've gotten pretty sensitive about hearing the words "not covered by insurance". So, now I have to find an eye doctor. Anne, how much does an eye exam cost?

This afternoon I took the bike out for its maiden voyage. I rode to Ramona to help serve lunch to the band kids. Then I rode to Home Depot to get some keys made and to buy some cable that I can attach to the bike frame to keep anyone from stealing the seat. It comes off easily and since people will steal just about anything for no good reason I figured I'd better lock that puppy down. When I came out of Home Depot someone had smudged some crap on my mirror. Jeez...

Man, I haven't ridden a bike in about 10 years. Ah, traffic. It was a good ride. I feel like I've had a decent workout. Yep, getting the bike was the right thing to do.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Doni,

Consider going to Costco for new glasses. Mary & I got our bifocals there, and after I looked around, their price was far cheaper than any of the other optometrist's offices. I actually have vision coverage through my work, but Costco was still cheaper. Typically through Kaiser, you should be able to get your eye exam and a prescription covered, but no other frames or lenses.

Jon

Donita Curioso said...

Thanks, Jon.

Apparently, my coverage is zero. I thought about Costco today after I left Kaiser. I just have to start looking around for a doctor. It doesn't bother me that much. It's just a pain in the ass to have to take it on as a project. Hearing that I wasn't covered really got to me. Especially since I pay a LOT for my health insurance. Kaiser has me in the high-risk catagory. And it's for the stupidest reason. It's not my weight, not my cancer risk or my family history of diabetes. It's because of migraines. Migraines that I almost never get. They're weird-ass migraines that don't really hurt and they last half an hour. They have almost no impact on my life but because it's in my records I have to pay a ridiculous amount of money for crappy coverage.

Hmm, I wonder if I can do something about that since I'm now a single mom?

Anonymous said...

Go to Lenscrafters website and type in your zipcode- there's one in the Galleria at Tyler-there's a lot of info on the site and AARP and AAA members get a 30% discount on stuff. Their phone # for exams (EyeExam of CA.) is 951-352-1090. At my office an exam for a new pt. with all the peripheral testing is $140, (but we're expensive) We took Kyle to lenscrafters the first year he was out there and it wasn't bad. I know they do visual field screening and dilation, so you'd get a decent exam there. Good luck!

vivage said...

What you could try is telling your medical doctor that you are getting eye strain, headaches, & neck strain and they might send you to the optomologist there. I guess it's important to tell them it's not a migraine in your case.

Not totally sure that will work but it did for me years ago when I didn't have vision coverage.

Anonymous said...

It IS possible to have your eyes evaluated if you feel there may be a medical diagnoses as opposed to a ROUTINE eye exam-then your medical insurance would probably cover. It's certainly worth a try!

Donita Curioso said...

I don't know if I'd feel comfortable doing that. I'd have to go back to my doc to get a referral. Eye strain and headaches weren't discussed at my recent visit. I'll check out the Lens Crafters option.

Donita Curioso said...

Health insurance is such a rip-off. I'd much rather put that $460 a month into a savings account than give it to Blue Cross. I'd probably be better off. That is until something really devastating happens.