Monday, February 05, 2007

Back to the birthplace

This morning I looked up directions to the county clerk's office for the City of Orange. I also looked up the address of the house we lived in when I was born. I've been wanting to go see it ever since we first moved back here. I was a little worried. I haven't seen that place since I was four years old. Would the neighborhood have turned into a slum by now?

I drove to Orange and got my birth certificate. It all went very easily. Then I drove to my old neighborhood. Drove past the hospital where I was born. It's just a few blocks from the house. Heh! Mom could have walked there! I recognized the house immediately. Jeez, it's TINY! But it looks just great and the neighborhood is really nice. I took several pictures with my new camera phone.

This all put me in a strange emotional space. Lots of memories flooded in. Playing in the back yard, Dad building our play house, our rabbits, Debbie and me at Christmas, bringing Drew home from the hospital when he was a baby. We had two cats named Amos and Andy! Can you imagine????? Seeing that little house brought back all sorts of sweet, comforting feelings.

So, I'm just hanging with it. Got some warm fuzzies here. Gotta make some phone calls, pick up Paige and go walking later. Tomorrow I'm going to the Craig Ferguson taping. Squeeee! Fun stuff!

8 comments:

vivage said...

Coool day.

Sooooo want to go see Craig with you. If you get close to him give him a kiss from me!

Donita Curioso said...

Virginia- Oh, I'll probably just shake his hand. I'll tell him Virginia says hey. I'm sure I won't get within 10 feet of him. I don't even know if I'll be able to talk to Gruber and Andy. I don't know the protocol for the Ferguson show. I'm not on the guest list.

But yeah, we should go together some time!

Dean- My dad changed jobs. He worked for the phone company in Santa Ana. I think he got a sales job at US Gypsum, which is closer to Riverside.

It really made me happy to see it looking so cute. The paint looked almost new. The whole street was tidy.

I actually expected to see it kind of run down. Maybe like our neighborhood in Santa Rosa. Not slummy but not well cared for. So, what a pleasant surprise! I think it hit me deeper than I expected.

I walked the Rube this evening with Jeff. My knee started popping again. Grrrr. I'm going to the doctor on Wednesday so I'll just that to the list of physical complaints and concerns.

Crapola.

Donita Curioso said...

Just practiced the ukulele. Cheered up again.

vivage said...

Yeah, when we saw Craig, there was no way to see him in the hallway or any of his guests either. I so wanted to send him a note and ask him if he wanted to go to dinner with us after the show. LOL.

Hey, is your knee locking up at all? My knee popping issue (from when I had that teeny slip in Yosemite) is most likely a meniscal tear as per the doc. Clicking, popping and the occasional locking and the knee giving away sometimes. I go see my orthopaedic guy on Friday for my elbow and my knee. Getting old is a pain in the butt (gawds, I hope that isn't inviting trouble in my glutes!)

Donita Curioso said...

The knee pops and feels unstable, like it's going to give away. I'll bet if I drop 10 pounds it'll be fine. But dang, that's what I'm trying to do! Getting exercise is part of that process and my favorite form of exercise is walking the Rube. Poopies.

Oh well, I'll talk to the doc tomorrow and see what she says. Maybe it's as simple as wearing a knee brace when I walk. Going uphill is just fine. The knee does not like the down. So, the solution is to hire a helicopter to pluck me off the top. Or I could work a deal with the search and rescue guys and they could "rescue" me as part of a training exercise.

Anonymous said...

Hi!!! I'm so glad you blog and so glad we got to be at your place and meet your friends - it makes the blog reading so much cooler! I emailed you some pictures of the stitch and bitch girls at Stacy's. We look pretty good for a bunch of sad gals!

That is also way cool that your first house is kept up. I went and saw the apartment where I grew up in Berkeley once, and it was kinda trashed. I don't know what I expected from a 50+ year old apartment building on Benvenue and Dwight Way, but I was sad.

Dean - you always give such good advice you are very wise; Although I like the rescue idea much better than a noisy, smack-you-in-the-head helicopter. Just think, they could put Doni in a wagon and wheel her on down! And they could pay her a stipend and she could say, "Oh, thank you EVER SO much - I'll see you the day after tomorrow!"

Mary

vivage said...

You know I am not a doctor so talking about a meniscal tear isn't any kind of dx. :-)

I hope Craig was fun and the traffic easy for you today.

Anonymous said...

Forgive me Doni if I temporarily use your blog as a discourse with Legadillo - I just can't let that one go - perhaps you will enjoy the bantering of two good friends

Ok, Legadillo, I bow to your superior knowledge - I stand corrected - Donita can just hop into a basket, tug on the rope two times, and off she'll go like a bucket of water heading for a fire - then they can set her down in her driveway right in front of the lemorange tree. Silly, silly me to think otherwise!