Thursday, August 30, 2007

Uke case finished!

I'll post photos later. I need to have the children help me.

I finished it just this afternoon. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I gave it to Jeff just before our walk. But before our walk...

I was getting ready to leave. I thought it would be nice to have some clean towels for dabbing the sweaty dewiness after the walk. It's been over a hundred degrees for a few days and the humidity is pretty high. I noticed that after a Rube walk I'm sweating like... like a really sweaty thing. I thought a towel would be nice. I grabbed one for Jeff, too. I got two brand new, never-been-used towels from the linen closet. Then I noticed something on the floor that really should be picked up. I bent down, picked it up and stood back up (quickly) and banged my head on the cupboard door. Hard. Really hard.

I did a little dance and cussed a stream and grabbed my head with the new, clean towels. Both Lindsay and Paige heard me and got very concerned. I held the towels on my head for a little bit and then lifted them to have a look. Hoo boy, lots of blood. Paige and I went into the bathroom and she looked at my head. It wasn't bad enough to go for stitches but I knew I was going to be late for my walk. I had blood in my hair and on my shirt. While I was still pressing a towel to my head I called Jeff and told him I was going to be a bit late. Fortunately it stopped pretty quick. I rinsed my hair, changed my shirt and headed for Mt. Rubidoux.

Jeff got there just after I did. I gave him his new uke case. He be happy. I started this thing a long time ago. I was supposed to make a case for his unusually-shaped uke in exchange for the tenor uke that I've had for a couple of years now. The project got a bit bogged down and sat on a shelf for a while. Recently I got back into it and finally finished it this afternoon.

We had a very nice walk (we always do). He told me he had gone to Killarney's last night with some friends. I asked him if he had a Smithwick's (pronounced Smittick's). He said he had. Now, I'm not really a beer gal but ooh, I like this stuff. Just talking about it made me want one. After the walk I was hungry and well, why not go to Killarney's for dinner and a delicious beer? Or two or three?

Oh my. Ok, so what? It was good and I was enjoying myself. I had the Killarney's fish balls with three dipping sauces, all very good. I was reading my book, eating a nice dinner and drinking some tasty beer. And water. Lots of water. It's funny because Jeff and I were just talking about alcohol and over-indulging and how it's not really a good idea. So, what was the first thing I did after leaving him?

I'm reading this book called Pihkal, A Chemical Love Story, written by this guy who's a psychopharmachologist who develops these psychedelic compounds and tests them on himself. Part of the book was also written by his wife (I like her writing better). I'm just up to the part where they meet. Just before that she talks about her experience with peyote. She mentioned Aldous Huxley. I remembered hearing about Brave New World a long time ago but I never read it. So here I am at Killarney's, too drunk to drive home, with a Border's book store within walking distance. I strolled over and bought the book. After that I poked around the Plaza for a bit.

Well, I really wasn't all that drunk and by the time I got back to my car I was fine. And now I'm here writing in my blog.

It's funny. All the debris from working on the uke case is spread all over my art table. But the project is finished and now all that stuff is mostly trash. The table looks kind of sad and forlorn with no current project being worked on. Time to clean it up and start on something new, which will probably be another uke case. Bill just bought a cute uke that has a round body. Another unusually-shaped uke with no case. I'll make one for him but that's it. I enjoyed the challenge of making the case for Jeff. I liked figuring out how to build it and how all the pieces would fit together. But I don't tend to make a lot of the same kind of thing and uke cases aren't my life's calling. But I think it'll be fun to make just one more.

Today was a good day.

4 comments:

vivage said...

OOOOOoooo! Billyc is gonna be excited!

I'm sorry about your head. That's awful. Funny, a guy at work did that verything last weekend only he did it on a tree branch. He's bald so his wound was really apparent.

Nice to have hair to cover up the scabbiness of a head wound.

Donita Curioso said...

"The scabbiness of a head wound" Lovely image.

But yes, I'm glad it's hidden. I can barely feel it today.

Anonymous said...

After every paragraph I kept thinking, "Now she's going to tell us she's in the hospital with a concussion." This was one of the most suspenseful blog entries I've ever read.

--dean

Donita Curioso said...

Aw. And it just ended with me getting drunk and buying a book.