Monday, August 27, 2007

Tears on Mt. Rubidoux

It was really beautiful up there tonight. I started up at around 7. Just as I got up above the tree line the full moon peeked over the top of Box Springs Mountain. I stopped walking and stood there and watched it rise. The colors of the whole scene were so vivid. Just damn gorgeous.

When I reached the top I passed a girl who I used to see up there a lot, one of the regulars. She and I actually exchanged phone numbers one day. I hadn't seen her in months. We chatted for a little bit and she asked me how I've been. I told her that my husband had died. She threw her arms around me and hugged me hard. It was so surprising! I was totally thrown and I started to cry. Damn it! So, of course we had to stand there and go through the whole thing while I struggled to pull it together. I was so glad it was getting dark. Oh yeah, tonight was the most crowded I've ever seen up there. It was like walking through Disneyland. When I got there I had to park really far away because there were so many cars. So here I am, walking alone, crying my eyes out on Mt. Rubidoux. Jeez-o-friggin'-pete.

I came home and took a shower. Then I came out here to read my e-mail. My cousin, Molly, called to tell me that my Aunt Ruth had another stroke this morning. She's responsive but she can't talk. Tomorrow they're going to do a swallow test and try to see how much damage was done. After I got off the phone with Molly I started answering an e-mail I got from David. About halfway through I just lost it. I sat here and had a huge, hard sob-fest.

Boy, this stuff just smacks me sideways sometimes. I was really doing well today. Last night I went to open mike with the Odien bros. and had a really good time. Today I worked on the uke case and then went on a box hunt. It was a nice day. And then WHAM! I'm wiped out.

Wednesday I'm taking Dad to the VA to see his doc and the psychiatrist. We're going to talk about maybe changing his meds. There are some tough times ahead and he might need a bigger dose of the chill pills.

I'm going to bed. I hope I can sleep. Oh! A long time ago David gave me some Lunesta. I'll take one of those. You know that stupid commercial with the butterfly that floats over the woman's face while she's sleeping? I keep thinking if I ever woke up and saw a glowing butterfly floating over my face I'd grab that little fucker and rip it to shreds. I HATE that commercial!

Ok, tv first. Then bed.

7 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

Today was better. I started it by goofing off. I read e-mail and watched a bunch of stuff on YouTube. Then I worked on the uke case. It's almost done!

I picked Paige up from school and took her to Staples to get some school supplies. Then we went to Michael's. It was a pleasant, ordinary day.

This evening I walked the Rube with Jeff. It's always good talking to him. Heh! Especially after the weepiness of last night. Actually, I got a little weepy with him, too.

Thanks for the shoulder, Jeff.

I stopped for some chinese food. When I got home the moon had just come up. I fixed my plate and sat in the front yard and had dinner by moonlight. Damn, I'm going to miss that view. There were a lot of small airplanes flying around tonight. I guess they were all up there watching the moonrise. Pretty soon a bunch of them landed, one right after another.

I'm stuffed.

vivage said...

((((((((((((Donita)))))))))))))

Donita Curioso said...

!!!((((((((((((Virginia)))))))))!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

The moon has had its high beams on the past couple nights. :)

Donita Curioso said...

No chit! I went out at midnight to see if Dad had remembered to turn off the tree water (he had). Before I went out there I was looking for a flashlight and then I thought, nah, it's a full moon, I'll be able to see. Boy howdy, no problem! The moon was so bright it was almost too hard to look at. I stifled a howl.

Anonymous said...

This is the Sturgeon moon. Yum.
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/astronomy/a/the_full_sturgeon_moon

--dean

Donita Curioso said...

Caviar for everyone!