Wednesday, August 22, 2007

He said it would take three weeks.

The grader guy said it would take three weeks total. Ok, we're on week two. The jack hammer is still going. I guess those boulders were tougher than I thought. And now the big earth movers make the living room windows rattle. I wonder if I can get compensation for psychological distress?

My filing project is almost done. Now I'm down to the fiddly bits. But that will have to wait for another day. Today I'm making quiche and a big pot of beans for the band potluck. But first I have to clean the kitchen. Guess what? The sound of the jack hammer comes through the ceiling vent. In the kitchen. Right over the stove.

Right now I'm ready to jump out of my skin.

I keep looking at the next big life change that's coming up. Not much to look at really, because I don't know how it's going to play out. So, I'm looking at a void. Ok... I have to somehow make this ok.

I still have Xanax. I'll start taking that again. I'm getting regular exercise. Good. School is starting soon. Back to a routine. That's good because I've been wanting some order in my life. I have at the most five more months of dealing with Dad on a daily basis. Hey! The 18th of the month passed without my noticing! That's progress, right?

Something horrible and funny happened last night. I went up the Rube with Ken and Sherri. After that I went to the grocery store. I didn't have my Ralph's club card with me and for some reason the machine won't accept my phone number. The checker guy had me fill out a form for a new card so I can get my phone number registered. When I handed it back to him he said, "Did you check the box for the kind of card you want? Do you need a senior card? You know, for over age 60?"

AAAAAAIIIEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

I tried to make a joke of it. I said, "No, you're way off, you flatterer you". He said, "Hey, I just want to make sure you get the right card", like he was offended. HE was OFFENDED!

Dad called yesterday to tell me to go buy some lottery tickets because the jackpot is "the BIGGEST it's EVER BEEN!". It's at 74 million. So, I went to 7-11 and got ten bucks worth. We'd better win. I need a facelift NOW.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do NOT look 60. What a bean brain THAT guy is.

Hoo boy. I don't know how you live with the jackhammer.

--dean

Donita Curioso said...

Lindsay said her windows are rattling too. It totally sucks.

Well, thank you. I know I didn't look my best. I had crummy exercise clothes on and my hair was in a pony tail. But still, I didn't think I looked that bed.

When Stacey got married Paige was one year old (I was 34 at the time). I was out running some errands for the wedding and stopped by a repair shop to pick up my dad's vaccuum cleaner. I went in holding Paige. The repair guy was this old, asian man. He asked me if she was my granddaughter! I was stunned! I laughed it off and told him no, I just had my kids late. I figured maybe it was because asian people seem to age a lot slower than us germans.

But, REALLY!

Donita Curioso said...

Bad, not bed. Oops!

Anonymous said...

Yurgh. Just our talking about looking 60 makes me feel 70.

--dean

vivage said...

Little fucker. I'd spend some money on the little fucker getting some manners.

You don't even look anywhere near 60!

Anonymous said...

What a fucking idiot. You should get his name and write a letter, and he should be NAILED on his review for that. It's almost like an intentional mean thing to do. You obviously don't look even 50, not to mention 60. Why on earth would someone do that??? He's got a screw loose.

Jerk.
Stupid Jerk.

Reminds me of when I was asked if I was pregnant, and I wasn't.

Nancy

Donita Curioso said...

Ouch!

He seemed pretty clueless. The woman ahead of me was trying to use a coupon for ice cream but she had the wrong kind. He just stood there chatting with her as if there was no one behind her. He sent a slow moving flunkie to get her the right ice cream. Then she said she wanted a different flavor. He just didn't do anything to move things along.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I remember how just plain stupid he was. Like he goes through life never paying attention to what he says or does. Oh well, he was just one part of one day.

Thanks, ladies! I feel so supported.

vivage said...

" Oh well, he was just one part of one day."

I guess the important thing to remember is that he really was in your life for a few mins...he has to live with his stupidity for the rest of his life.

He's gonna get smacked around a lot for being a clueless idiot.

Anonymous said...

That's what I always tell myself when I run into an idiot: the idiot will be in the same room with himself tomorrow, I will be far away.

--dean

Anonymous said...

I think a lot of people just don't pay attention to the words that are coming out of their own mouths. Once, while working down in the sales shed, one of the tree cutters came up and asked if Paige was my daughter! Augh! When I told him, no, she's my sister, he just shrugged and went, "whatever" and walked off. At least the older couple who mistook me for DAD'S WIFE had the decency to be embarassed when we corrected them.

I know I'm a bad judge of age, and I think there must be tons of other people out there who are too. You do not look 60. I have a hard time even thinking of you as 50. Momma, you're a pretty lady!

Donita Curioso said...

Aw, thanks, Boo! (sniff)

Every once in a while someone mistakes me for GRANDPA'S wife! (and even Grandpa has called me Delores a few times) When that happens I have to crawl into a closet and shake a while.

Anonymous said...

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if he's called several trees, a stray cat, and his couch "Delores."

Donita Curioso said...

Speaking of trees, see next post.