Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Swingin' at the Fairmount

Tonight I met Ken, Sherri, Robin and Brandon at Fairmount Park for the Wednesday concert. It was a swing band and they were really good. Lots of people were there to dance. They were all dressed up, the women in twirly dresses and the men in fedoras and ties. They were quite fun to watch.

Jeez, I got almost nothing done today. Well, nothing that I wanted to get done. I rescued a bird. I paid bills. I filled out job applications online. Man, I need to put together a decent resume. It's a little hard since I haven't worked in 17 years. I have no job references. All the people I worked for back then have moved and a couple of them are dead. This could take a while.

I'll be glad when it's not so hot. So much of what I want to do involves being outside. I need to go on a box hunt. I need to get another estimate on the truck. Gotta go through the records.

School starts soon. It's always kind of wrenching getting back into that routine. Paige's last year of high school. I hope it goes well for her. Things were pretty rough last year.

I am soooo looking forward to the day when my life is more settled. More and more I am letting go of this hill. I'll miss it but I don't think I'll be sad about it. I know there will be nothing to come back to. It will be as if it never existed. I'll be glad when I can look back at everything that's happened and just say, "Ok."

4 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

Wow! This morning when I went over to do morning meds I saw a view I haven't seen in at least 20 years. The graders took out the trees that were planted as a windscreen. You can see all the way up the hill now. Dad's mad about it. He said taking them out wasn't supposed to be part of the deal (like he knows what the deal is). I don't think he understands that he's leaving this place.

He was foggy again this morning. He couldn't do the glucose test and he almost took his evening dose right after taking the morning pills. He wanted to rearrange the pills so all the sections were filled. I had to tell him several times to leave it alone, that it's part of our little system to keep it all straight.

When we were cleaning the barns we were using my two hand trucks to move stuff into the dumpster. At one point I saw Dad walking away with the smaller red one. We were almost done for the day so I didn't try to stop him. Besides, if he was taking it away it meant that he'd be out of our hair for about 15 minutes. Yesterday I saw it in his laundry room. I said, "Dad, this hand truck belongs to me. I'm taking it home." He said, "Ok, you can have it. I just brought it up so no one would walk off with it." I said, "Well, YOU'RE the one who walked off with it."

Went right over his head.

I'm always finding my tools over there. Most of my garden tools are painted gray with a yellow stripe around the handle. I wrote SMITH on them with black magic marker. He still takes them! He takes my trash cans, too. Oh well.

Donita Curioso said...

EEK! They've been grading all day back there. They've been watering it down but it's not enough to stop a big cloud of dust from coming over here. I went out to water the yard a little while ago and everything is coated with dirt. The walls, the lawn furniture, my car are all dusted with brown.

Oh dear.

Anonymous said...

I just cannot believe they're taking down the whole damn hill. I don't know why I can't believe it. I've seen pictures of strip mining. I know what is possible. But it just doesn't seem like they could take the whole hill down.

--dean

Donita Curioso said...

I wonder how they're going to make it jive with the airport land next door. Retaining walls, I guess.