Sunday, December 30, 2007

Christmas

I forgot to write about our first Christmas without Jim. Not much to tell. It was Lindsay and Kyle, Paige and Gabe and me. I went to Dragon House and picked up some Chinese food. It's become a bit of a tradition to have Chinese food on Christmas Eve. It started when we first moved back down here. Jim and I were always selling Christmas trees up until about 5:00 on Christmas Eve and there was no time and no energy for fixing a big meal so we always picked up Chinese food. This time I got the good stuff. Dragon House is the best Chinese restaurant in Riverside. Press Enterprise says so.

We didn't have many gifts to open. There just wasn't any time to shop this year and I certainly wasn't in the mood to join the crowds in the stores. I gave the boys gift cards and the girls got some trinkets plus a share of the family Christmas bonus. They were very happy to get a pile of cash. We opened the almond champagne that Ken and Sherri gave us. We laughed a lot and had a really good time, just like Jim was here. We drank a toast to the end of 2007 and toasted our hopes for a better 2008. Then I left to take Lindsay and Kyle to the airport.

I've been thinking about Jim a lot lately. Dreaming about him, too. In my dreams he never speaks to me. He's always just there hanging around.

Yesterday I had a grief moment. I hadn't had a computer since the day we moved out and I really wanted to get it set up. But all our equipment is scattered and packed away and I don't know what plugs into where so I probably wouldn't have been able to set it up anyway. The DSL had been activated but I was stuck. I was sitting in the family room when I noticed a package from AT&T sitting on the table. It was my new wireless modem and all the cords and filters I needed to set things up PLUS instructions. I just lost it. I sat there and sobbed and sobbed. Getting the computer set up would have been nothing for Jim. For me it's all a big mystery. Finding that package was almost like a message from Jim saying, "It's ok, you can do this." I plugged it all in and bang, I had internet. I still had to sit on the phone for almost two hours to get everything connected and to change everything to my name. I still don't have everything hooked up that I need but at least I can blog and get e-mail.

AT&T might be a big, evil corporation but they sure train their people well. They never once told me I'd need to send them a copy of the death certificate to remove Jim's name from my account. I sure ran into that roadblock a lot this year.

So, I have two more milestones to get through. January 14th, the day Jim had the stroke and January 18, the day he died. I think I'll ask for the 18th off. I don't think I'll be much use that day. And after this year I won't talk about January 14th on this blog. Stacey needs that day to be hers. Our mom died on January 14, 1987, which was Stacey's 21st birthday. When Jim had his stroke I didn't tell her until the next day. It's not fair to her to have so much sadness attached to that date.

It's still hard to believe he's gone. It still feels like it's impossible. I don't feel certain that my decisions are correct because I don't have Jim to knock it around with. Last night I was home alone and I kept having these long conversations with the cat. At one point I said, "Whoa there, girl. Grab the reins. You're not THAT old!" And then suddenly I felt very vulnerable. I was here alone. Sure, I've got three dogs here but they're useless idiots. I just got a glimpse into my possible future and it made me uncomfortable. I think when I reach a certain age I'm going to want to share a house with someone.

Looking forward to warm, sunny days. Too much dreary gloom right now.

8 comments:

vivage said...

Dragon House sounds good right about now. We didn't have traditional holiday meals any day of the season.

I didn't miss any of it 'cept the dressing.

Ya know there are hundreds of future possibilities for you...choosing one or another or even another is the key I think.

Anonymous said...

And having adult conversations with your pets is weird why?

--dean

wtomrt--the next evil wizard

Donita Curioso said...

Virginia- I too miss the dressing.

Choosing a future possibility isn't that hard, I guess. I'm just rolling along doing the best I can with what I've got. It's when that future possibility chooses me that I run into trouble. But at least now I feel like I'm on a path. For most of this year there was no path. It was more like a ride down the rapids, and not the fun kind.

Dean- Short, smoochy conversations with pets is normal. Constantly remarking on Katie's every behavior is goofy. That's what I was doing. She'd zoom past me and I'd say, "Ooh, you're in a mood, aren't you, Katie? What a silly kitty you are." Stuff like that, over and over again. I couldn't let myself be silent. MY DAD DOES THAT!

Puh! I've caught Paige's sore throat. I feel like crap. I was going to go to Ken and Sherri's tonight for a little party before going to pick up Lindsay and Kyle from the airport. Now I can't go. I wouldn't want to infect anyone there and besides, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be sleeping right up until it's time to go to the airport. We're talkin' LAX, not Ontario.

Yesterday I bought Paige a bunch of meds. Today she's feeling better so she went to Gabe's and took everything with her! I need Zicam!!!

The AT&T guys just left. I'm good to go. They even moved the main phone line to the house so it won't be in the way of my future patio roof. Such nice boys.

Mmm... One of my Christmas presents was an assortment of coffees and teas. Right now the green tea with lemon grass and mint is very soothing. Going back to bed now.

Anonymous said...

Pooh- sorry you're not feeling well- we just got back from dropping Lindsay & Kyle off at the airport-I miss them already-didn't get to see much of them between working all week and them catching up with friends and their trip to Long Island to visit Grandma & Grandpa Carrozza. I did get to go see "Juno" with them yesterday-great movie!
Their first flight got off alright- there's a really quick connection in D.C.-they'll be hustling to make it- and they'll see the New Year in on the plane to LAX. Happy New Year!

vivage said...

hmmmmm, I have longer conversations with my animals...course I've never exactly thought of myself as normal.

It's terrible you're sick, I hope you bounce right back (although sometimes a cold comes just to tell you to take it easy, ya know).

LAX? Tonight? OMG.

A toast to you (even if it's orange juice for the vit C). Happy New Year Donita!

Anonymous said...

Hi Doni! Happy New Year and Happy New Home! Iʻve missed your blogs, and glad youʻre back. Glad youʻre into your new home now; thatʻs a biggie.

Funny you should mention zicam. I just got my first cold in 4 years. I am the biggest skeptic on earth of homeopathic or supplements or ecinacia, zinc, any of that, BUT ... my friend who is an ER nurse brought me some zicam nasal gel, and I swear it made me breathe easier! Unfortunately, on day 2 I ODʻd on it ʻcause I didnʻt have the dosage info and I got the worst sinus headache! So only squirt 1 or 2 squirts, not 5 or 6 like I did!
Happy New Year to you & the girls!

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year
Zicam works great. The key is catching it early. I used the chewables and kicked the cold right in the hiney.
In Oklahoma Bermuda is actually a desired turf. We have turf farms that grow that stuff and sell it for hundreds of dollars per pallet. It's a fricken weed most places but not here.
Glad you're back.
I think I'll go have an OJ in and toast it to you.

John

Anonymous said...

'kay that's weird- I posted a reeeeaaallly long comment that looked like it took but it's not here. Anyway-Happy New Year and assuming the kids made it back ok(lots more info on the orignal post)