Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Things are up in the air

Boy, I'll be glad when this is over.

Let's see. We're all staying at Stacey and Scotty's. The dogs are in the side yard with the bunnies. Sunday night was awful. Stacey's dogs aren't used to having doggy guests so they were a bit jacked up. My dogs were HORRIBLE! I was worried they would traumatize the rabbits with all their barking. When I went to bed all I could hear was Bozzie barking. After a while I got up (oh yeah, I'm also in pain from the move), went downstairs and grabbed the little monster and put him in my car. Then I came back in and climbed the stairs and went back to bed. Then Gracie started up. I went back downstairs, out to the yard and got Gracie and put her in the car. Then I went back upstairs and back to bed. My body hurt all over and my brain was buzzing like mad. I lay there for a while trying to decide if I wanted to go downstairs again to grab some of Stacey's prescription ibuprofen. Fortunately I remembered I had a Vicodin in my purse. I took it and finally got to sleep. I hate my dogs. Ok, not really but I was pretty mad at them.

We had to get up early because it takes a while to get down the hill. I took Paige to school and then went to the farm. I took Bozzie with me because I was afraid he'd get bored and start messing with the rabbits. When I got to the farm I put him in with Marty to keep him company for a while. Marty doesn't have much use for us but he likes his doggy friends. I worked on gathering up the last of my things for a little while but I didn't have much time because I had to get back up the hill and get ready for work. The buyer was supposed to do the final walk-through. Ahem... Debbie, Bob and Dede took my plants over to the new house and dropped them off. Thanks, guys!

I came back up the hill to get ready for my first day of work. As I was doing hair and make-up I kept glancing at the clock in Audra's room. I was doing just fine, right on schedule. Then I wondered, hmm, is her clock right? It said 11:38. I went to Stacey and Scotty's room and looked at their clocks. They said 12:13!!!! I had to be at work at 12:30! I zoomed back to the bathroom and started RIPPING the curlers out of my hair! Curlers and pins were flying! My heart was pounding. I finished getting ready and came downstairs. The clock on the mantle said 12:15. The kitchen clock said 11:40. AAIIEEEE!!!!

Audra's clock was right. The kitchen clock was right. Stacey and Scotty keep their clocks set a half an hour ahead and the mantle clock is BROKEN. It ALWAYS says 12:15. I had oodles of time and a pounding heart. And my hair turned out pretty good!

When I got to the office almost everyone was still at lunch. A very nice young man was sitting at the front desk. He took me around to meet some of the people who were there. After a while two of the women I had met on my first visit came back from lunch. My first task was to reformat the schedule and add myself to the list. That was the biggest job I did the whole time I was there. They just didn't have anything for me to do. I sat at the front desk and studied the staff directory. I perused the RCC website and answered the phone ONCE (and screwed up). I poked around the office a bit and found the supplies closet. The most important thing I learned yesterday was where the pens are kept. And I get to do it all again today!

After work I went to the farm to see if I could find Zoey. Earlier, Paige had crawled under the house and scared her out. She sealed up the holes so Zoey couldn't get back under there. But then she was spooked and wouldn't come to anyone. I couldn't find her so I left and had dinner at Coco's. After that I went back to the farm. Zoey came out and greeted me like she always does and I nabbed her. This is not a cat that likes to be held. I had a hard time finding my house key in the dark while holding a squirming cat. I managed to get in and stash her in the room with Katie. Hooray! All the cats were captured and contained. I waited around a bit longer because I was supposed to meet Hector at 7:30 so I could pay him for the work he did the other day and so he could pick up his Christmas tree. He didn't show so I left. I was so tired. I just wanted to get back to Stacey's and end my day.

I found out later that the buyer never showed up for the walk-through. Sherri called me earlier and told me that he's being squirrely and might not want to close escrow on Wednesday. Dude! We HAVE to close! We've done everything he wanted us to do! The farm is cleaned up, the trees are gone and I moved out early! Gammer and Gaffer are waiting for their money so they can close on their new place in Oregon! I have people scheduled to come to the new house and install and deliver stuff! My plants are already there! GRRRR!!!!

I slept better last night. The dogs didn't bark at all. I guess they didn't want to sleep in the car again. I took a Vicodin right before I went to bed. But I still woke up way too early. S'ok. It gave me time to blog. I'll take Paige to school, go to the farm and take care of the pets and then come back here and get ready for work.

This time I'll know what time it is.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh lordy. I hope your buyer doesn't totally flake and everybody ends up in court. What the hell's wrong with him?? What's his problem now?

Well, that's good about the job, anyway. Turned out to be the most restful part of your Monday.

So if the buyer comes through on Wednesday, are you in your new house next weekend?

How dare that jerk freak everybody out like this.

Anonymous said...

Hi Doni,

I've bought and sold several houses and Escrow is always hell, even in the best of circumstances. Somehow though it always works out for the best. Don't know why, "it's a mystery."

I feel your pain believe me, my Mom died 4 weeks ago and my brother and I are in the midst of selling her house in Phoenix. I've driven out there several times to get the house ready to sell, so I'm right there with you.

Glad to hear you've gotten a job that you seem to be happy with. Things seem to be settling out well for you. Look at how far you've come in less than a year. You're employed, you're moving into your own home, life is good.

Love you,

Bob

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your mom, Bob. Had she been sick?

--dean

vivage said...

Dang, I so feel for you, but you totally made me laugh a couple of times in this last post.

Love the many times shown on all the clocks. Gotta love the little rituals we all do but forget to tell others about.

I'm also happy you had good hair that day.

hahaha, your job sounds like my job. Just sit there and look busy, after a while you'll see that's pretty much what everyone else does in academia.

Driving up and down the hill is a bitch isn't it?

Donita Curioso said...

Bob- Thanks for checking in, good buddy. It's nice to hear from you. I'm so sorry about your mom. Hugs for you and your bro. You guys doing ok? Let's get together after things settle down for the both of us.

Virginia- Yep, driving up and down the hill is a bitch but at least it ain't Phoenix! (Love you, Bob!) Scotty also told me that sitting around doing nothing and trying to look busy is normal for RCC. They told me at the office that it's either feast or famine around there. Right now it's slow because they're between projects. It'll pick up after Christmas.