Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Dad's new place

I saw it for the first time tonight. Man, this place is NICE. Like a good hotel. A really good hotel. And Dad is as happy as can be. I'm stunned. He fought like crazy against going to an "old folks home" but you never know it to see him now. He's living like a king.

Drew and Mindy took a small Christmas tree to his apartment and set it up. Debbie and I bought some decorations at Big Lots and took them over. Bob was already there. We had coffee and cookies in their snack area and then went to Dad's apartment. Debbie, Bob and I decorated the tree while Dad sat and listened to Christmas music on the tv. He was amazed that he could have nice music in his room any time he wanted. We had a very nice visit. All of his resentment towards me is gone. After seeing him there I really don't think there will be any trouble, at least until his Alzheimer's gets worse. You just never know.

This is just great.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing. Well, a nice new apartment where everything works and he doesn't have to worry about the stuff around him and it's clean and organized. Sounds good to me, too.

homde--more comfort than you thought

--dean

Donita Curioso said...

Plus there are lots of women around. He seems to flirt just as much with the old ladies as he does with the young ones.

vivage said...

ha, he needs to tell my MIL how good she has it in her place. Well, cept that she doesn't have her own apt.

Anonymous said...

If you have time, see "Away From Her" with Julie Christie. It's all about new Alzheimer's nursing home relationships.

--dean

Donita Curioso said...

Virginia- I think this place might be better for Jean if she can afford it. There's a lot more social interaction. And it's here in town so people wouldn't have to drive so far to see her or pick her up for church.

Dean- Someday I'll see it. Now that I'm no longer a caregiver I might be able to get through it.

vivage said...

If you have to be mobile she can't be there. She is not mobile for all intents and purposes. Someone has to wheel her everywhere. She does not use her arms to get the wheelchair going anywhere. Not even 5 ft.

I don't know why because there is nothing wrong with her arms.