Sunday, December 30, 2007

Where to start?

The sun's in my eyes but I'm not too blinded to see the gunk on this keyboard. Another cleaning project.

Boxes are everywhere. I need to do a blitz on this house. Either unpack it or move it someplace where I won't trip over it. It's a little hard to get much done because my back is hurting right now. But once I'm up and moving it settles down. Boz has found the low spot on the back yard fence. I saw him wandering the neighborhood when I came home last night. That'll be my morning project after I finish up here. I brought fence boards from the farm for just that purpose.

Last Saturday the sibs and spouses helped me move in. We worked very hard all day but when we were finished they all went crazy on the wallpaper. It was so funny. Everyone was dead dog tired but they just HAD to attack the walls. It was great! The kitchen went from Grandma to project-in-progress in a matter of minutes. Suddenly the cabinets were the main focus.

Ah, I just unstuck the painted-open shutters in here. Got the sun out of my face.

I was here only a few days before going up to Dede's in SLO so nothing much got done. My new bed got delivered. Yay! Man, I knew that my old mattress was bad but after sleeping on this new mattress from Heaven (Sears) I know it must have been really messing with my back. This new one is reeeeally comfortable.

More later.

I had to go to the store to get comfort food and meds for Paige. She's got a nasty sore throat.

SLO was nice and relaxing. Well, as relaxing as it could be with a couple of rambunctious boys running around shooting nerf darts. Do NOT shoot at Aunt Donita. You'll be sorry. Anyway, it was fun. Thursday night the adults went to dinner at a very nice restaurant. That was after an afternoon of wine tasting, which was way fun. Dede was the designated driver so the rest of us were free to indulge and get goofy. Dinner was marvelous. I had the pork chop. It was the best pork chop in the world and probably the biggest. Everyone had a taste of it and all agreed that it was a pork chop that would be remembered for all ages.

Dad's behavior continues to get more and more out there. He's not as nasty but he's doing weird things. If he can't handle eating with a fork he'll pick up the food and eat it with his hands. His toileting is becomming problematic. I really don't know how long he'll be able to stay in his apartment. Not much longer is my guess.

I had to come home early because I had to be here to meet the phone guy. He was going to run some new wiring and add some jacks but when he got a good look at the job he decided he needed more time and some help. He's coming back on Monday. But at least he got my DSL going!!!!

Friday night Jeff and I saw Sweeney Todd. First we went to dinner at Ooka (mmmm, sushi) and then had tea at The Coffee Depot. We had a lot of time to kill before the show. I had never seen Sweeney Todd on stage so I didn't know much about it. I really enjoyed the movie and now I'd love to see a stage production. Next time one comes around I'm there. I loved the cast in this movie. Sacha Baron Cohen was a total crack up. Johnny Depp is always great to watch. Dude gets cuter every year. And hey, Snape and Wormtail get a lot of scenes together. It was a fun evening with a good friend.

And now I'm off to Home Depot to buy screws so I can keep my rotten dog from jumping the fence. I did a lot of work in the back yard yesterday. Most of the yard furniture, tools and decorative elements had been plopped down randomly during the move. I relocated them to the strip behind the garage. It looks much better out there now. It also was the first time I spent much time out there. The first time I really got a good look at the yard. Hoo boy, there's a LOT of work to do. There's Bermuda grass everywhere. I'm going to have to practically kill the whole yard, except for the trees. Actually, some of them are going to go as well. I won't be able to re-assemble the rabbit cage as it was. Gotta start over with that one. I'll need to cap off a sprinkler head or two. Can't have soggy bunnies.

But first the fence.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl, I know right where you are. You are right where I was about August 25.

At least you can have some opinion by now about the floor plan. Convenient? Spacious counters in the bathrooms? Nice triangle work pattern in the kitchen?

I eBay-ed "mid-century modern". Seems you label your old wrecked piece of junk "mid-century modern" and it's good for an extra $40 on eBay. Heh heh. Lots of good pictures and ideas.

--dean

imxoci--Japanese mid-century modern end-table designer

Donita Curioso said...

I do like the floor plan. It's flowy and open. This is a good party house. It'll be a great party house when it has a proper patio.

One bathroom has tons of storage. They stole the closet from the office and made a big cabinet in the bathroom. It would have been better if they had taken half the closet. The bathroom cabinet is pretty deep. Stuff will get shoved to the back and lost. They could have made some shallow shelves in the office and a nice, functional cabinet in the bathroom. So, ok, when I remodel (har!) I'll make it right. Yep. It's time to make a big list of things that need to be done to this place.

This kitchen is the best I've ever had, even with the washer and dryer in it. LOTS of storage, although some of it is inconvenient. There's no good place for pots and pans. I'm using a couple of drawers. Everything fits but they're kind of small. I'm going to bang out a shelf in the cabinet over the washer and dryer. You can't put anything tall in there, like a box of detergent. Duh!

I put up the fence boards but they're none too pretty. I didn't have a lot of fence boards so I cut them in half. I didn't have a tape measure so I eye-balled them. And then I still didn't have enough so I put in some uprights and a couple of horizontals. I'm tellin' ya, it looks like shit but it'll keep the Bozzie in the yard. He looks bummed.

Man, this day is flying by.

vivage said...

Whew!

Donita Curioso said...

No kiddin'.

Hey, I didn't fry my tv! The spark just made it switch channels. Oh yeah, I didn't write about the tv here. Last night I tried plugging the tv into a power strip and it made a big spark. When I turned the tv on I got snow. I was worried that I had either fried the tv or the satellite box. All it did was switch the tv to channel 1. I put it back on 3 and voila.

Good thing, too. Paige is sick. She neeeeeds tv.