Saturday, December 15, 2007

STRESS!!!

The day started out nice enough. I took Paige to Gabe's and stopped by the new house to check the mail. When I came back to Stacey's I helped them decorate their tree. Good holiday fun. Drew brought Dad over and he and Scotty settled in to watch a game on tv. I needed to get a gift for the office party on Thursday so I headed for Costco in MoVal.

I took a wrong turn and went a bit out of the way. No biggie, I was enjoying the drive. Then the car started making noises like gravel hitting the wheel well. Then that noise stopped and was replaced by an odd whiny whirring. I'm pretty sure a belt broke somewhere. I pulled into a shopping center where they were having a low rider car event. The place was packed and I had trouble getting through the people and cars to get to a place where I could park and call for help. First I called Scotty. He pretty much left the house right away to come get me. A few months ago I signed us up for Allstate's emergency road service. I didn't have my card with me so I called Lindsay to get the number. I called Allstate and had them send out a tow truck.

Scotty showed up a little later. Dad had come along for the ride. So, ok, it gets him out of the house. We waited for a while and then the tow truck came. I had parked in front of a furniture store, one space away from the store's big truck. It had a big sign on the side and a string of red and white balloons attached at the top. Scotty had parked right next to me on the other side. When the tow truck guy got there he tried to pull in between me and the furniture store truck. Oops. Not enough room. He scraped the side of the truck. Two guys from the store came running out. Dad, of course, considered it his duty to get out of the car and tell the tow truck guy what an idiot he was for scraping the furniture truck. Fortunately, I was able to head him off. I was stressed, cold and hungry. I was NOT going to put up with any bs from Dad.

The scrape wasn't a bad one and the store guys weren't upset so we got busy getting my car loaded up to take to Porter's in Riverside. We followed the guy most of the way to Riverside. Scotty got in front of him for the last part of the drive just to make sure he knew where to go. Everything went pretty smoothly but it took a lot of time and we had to listen to Dad's opinions the whole way. I left the key and a note in Porter's lock box. I'll deal with it on Monday. I hope it will be ok sitting there for a couple days.

After it was all handled we met Stacey and the kids at the Hawaiian barbeque place at Mission Grove. Drew and Mindy showed up a little later. Dinner was good. Just what I needed. As we were leaving we were working out who was going to ride with who and where and how I was going to go to Drew's to get Dad's car so I'd have something to get around in for the rest of the weekend. Dad had to get in one more nasty comment about me using his car. Hell, it's almost MY car since I'm buying it from him soon. Of course, he doesn't know that.

This is what I didn't need. I don't think it will cost much to fix and it probably won't take very long but jeez, cut me a break, will ya? I'd like to not have to be rescued for a while. I don't like being a load.

Tomorrow I'm going to Costco.

In Corona!

6 comments:

vivage said...

Mars must be in retrograde for the two of us.

Donita Curioso said...

Uh-oh. I'd better go check your blog.

It's funny. Last night when I went to bed I was feeling pretty good. After all the crap I dealt with yesterday I still was in a good mood. Not so the night before. I went to bed early and had a bit of a cry.

Last night we watched Hairspray. My dreams were full of fat people shaking their butts.

Anonymous said...

When all our stuff was in storage and I was sleeping on KC's couch, some normal thing like a flat tire would make me feel cursed. Finally, FINALLY, we're starting to get the house put together
and our routines... routinized. Oh boy what a difference. I feel like a boulder for enjoying that things are getting settled and predictable again.

xnnxdys--xenophobic Kennedys (the Lou Dobbs branch of the family)

--dean

Donita Curioso said...

Ooh! I wanna be a boulder!

I just got back from my Costco trip. I bought my office gift (a set of fake candles that flicker like the real thing) and a turntable that hooks into your computer and digitizes LPs. I've got a big record digitizing job ahead of me when things get settled. I also got a roll of stamps. Not a big Costco shopping trip but it cost me a LOT of money. I also renewed my membership and ordered and new pair of glasses. After that I went to Applebee's for lunch.

Thinking about Jim a lot. There's a big ol' hole in my life. When he left he took half my brain. I don't have anyone to talk to on a daily basis who really gets me. And it will probably be this way for the rest of my life. That's kind of a strange thought.

vivage said...

Sounds like a fruitful shopping trip.

I wish you wholeness Donita.

Donita Curioso said...

Thank you, Virginia. I think it'll come, eventually. I'll adjust to being on my own. When my life gets more settled I can start seeking out new relationships. Not that I'll ever have what I had with Jim but I can find people I can have fun with and learn new things with. Some day it won't all be so new and foreign.