Sunday, March 18, 2007

Spiral

Last night someone left the front door open and Spiral got out. Ugh. This morning we all walked around looking for him. Kyle was pretty upset. I drove around a little just to make sure Spiral wasn't squished in the street- he wasn't. I was still limping because of my toe so I couldn't walk around the farm and do a good search. The kids all walked around but no one saw him. He's such a skitty kitty I figured if he was still around he was probably hiding somewhere. We left the house open today hoping he'd come back.

For the last few weeks this white rabbit has been hanging around the barnyard. I've also seen him hopping around in the Christmas trees out front. He got into some red powder (concrete colorant, I think) which tinged his coat pink. Boz discovered him this morning and chased him under an old shed in the front field. Paige and Rory managed to catch him. He's a very friendly bunny. Rory said his grandma has some rabbit cages so tomorrow they're going to go get one. Right now he's in our back bathroom just chillin' in the shower.

Today the Odiens (Virginia, Bill and Jeff) came over for lunch. I made a big salad with some boiled shrimp and some grilled salmon. I also made aioli baguettes (always a hit). We had a very pleasant afternoon. Virginia brought a chocolate/raspberry cake in honor of Anne's birthday. I stuck some party picks in one slice and Virginia filmed it as we sang Happy Birthday. She has the clip on her blog. The link is in the comments section of the previous post. Just a silly bit of fun.

After they left I got into my jammies and took a nap. Then I got up and had some more salad and shrimp for dinner. I went out to the front porch and played some uke. Every once in a while I'd call Spiral. Not that he'd come to me, I just wanted him to hear his name being called. After that I came in and watched tv in my room.

Then Lindsay came in and said, "Guess who just strolled in?" Monster boy came back. We still had the front door open and he found his way back in. Whew! So, now we're all happy. Spiral came home, my toe is better and now we have added a bunny to the mix.

What a day.

5 comments:

vivage said...

Whew! Glad Sprial came meandering home, I'm sure Kyle is relieved and happy.

The pink bunny is cool. I think he was getting himself ready for Easter.

Donita Curioso said...

Years ago on the night before Easter Dean and I were going to climb up Mt. Rubidoux to spend the night. You used to be able to do that. Spend the night on Mt. Rubidoux and then go the the Easter sunrise service. We came to my house to get sleeping bags and stuff. I think it was about 10 o'clock at night. We walked in and caught my parents holding a white bunny and getting ready to dip its tail in food coloring. They looked as if we had caught them with drugs and stolen loot. It was funny as hell!

They had gotten these white bunnies for Dede and Stacey as a surprise for Easter morning. They wanted to make the tails pink and blue. Dean and I still laugh about that one. Too bad they didn't know that concrete colorant works perfectly.

My girls are 21 (almost 22) and 16 and they still expect (no, demand) to have the same kind of Easter they've always had. So, we dye the eggs and then this mama bunny goes out late at night to hide them. Sometimes Jim would help but usually he'd be asleep. This'll be our first Easter without him.

This year we'll have our egg hunt and then go to Ken's for a barbeque and general goofing around. I'm looking forward to that.

The kids just brought the bunny into the studio. They've named him Eddie Pink.

vivage said...

What a great story. We never got animals for easter (I'm thankful for that now), but always a big easter basket filled with candy and salty things.

My kids too want big easter traditions: Mostly a small gift with a huge basket. We used to do the egg hiding thing but we've stopped. The O's used to have a big easter celebrations with hundreds of relatives, maybe one of them will write about it.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you're the one who wanted to trebuchet the eggs we find. =P

Donita Curioso said...

So, build the damn thing already. This is a time for making new traditions. Jim would have loved the idea of an Easter egg trebuchet.

No, I don't think we can trust Spiral to be an outdoor kitty. I told Kyle he should take him out for short periods of time so he can poke around in the yard and learn about its smells and noises. He needs to know where the doors are and find good hiding places so he doesn't panic and run out into the street.