Friday, March 23, 2007

A night at Ken's

I had a great walk with Jeff yesterday. We've been walking down Victoria avenue because I've been having knee problems. It's a nice place to walk, mostly flat with gentle slopes. The landscaping along the path is very well-maintained. I still prefer Mt. Rubidoux but right now Victoria avenue is wonderful because the citrus trees are blooming and the air is delightfully perfumed. I love it.

Then I went to Ken's. I was really looking forward to this visit because it's the first time Ken, John and I were going to be together since Jim's farewell party. We had planned to play some acoustic stuff and talk, probably mostly talk. First I stopped at La Bodega to get some, um, drinks. Then I went to Vons for snackies. When I got to Ken's he had just gotten off the phone with John. He looked kind of stunned. He said John called to tell him he wasn't going to be there because his mother had just died. Holy cow! I had just talked to John at about 3:30 and he was all set to go to Ken's and have a nice evening. His mother was in her eighties and had been recently diagnosed with advanced colon cancer. They were in the process of moving her into hospice care and she died on the way there. So... we didn't have John with us last night. (We love you, John! I'll talk to you soon.)

Ken, Sherri and I took our drinks (champagne and tequila) and guacamole and chips out to the patio and had a good talk. When I was feeling decently buzzed I told Ken to get his guitar and I got out the uke. Oh man, it was great! We played and played. Ken showed me some songs and I took a lot of notes. We sounded really good together and I can't wait to add in John. John also plays acoustic guitar as well as banjo. I think we could get a two hour show together in almost no time.

Hoo boy, Donita got verrrry drunk. I stopped drinking alcohol and just had water at the end of the evening but I had already had way too much to drive home. Usually I'm pretty good at knowing when I need to quit but damn, I was having a really good time and that tequila tasted so good. I crashed on their sofa. When I woke up at around 2:30 I felt ok enough to drive home. Sherri had nicely packed up my stuff for me (thanks, Sherri!) so I gathered it up and went home. Moving a bit slow today.

Yeesh, I haven't been that messed up in a very long time. But, dammit, this has been a shitty week and I needed to blow it off somehow. Mission accomplished. We really had a good time. But we kept saying we wished John could be there. Another night, then.

6 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

Hell, last night I don't know if I would have known the difference between a swimming pool and a sofa.

vivage said...

Any better yet? Or was it a hair of the dog day?

Donita Curioso said...

No dog hair for me, thanks. I have recovered. I took a bunch of vitamins and some Aleve when I got home. I think that helped to lessen the effects of the alcohol. I think I'll lay off the juice for a while.

My big project for the day was taking the fountain apart and cleaning it. It burbles better now.

Donita Curioso said...

Ommagaw, how did this happen? I am completely alone here! Paige is with the band kids, Rory is with his friend and Lindsay and Kyle just left to go to the movies. The house is empty! Whatever shall I do?

This almost never happens.

vivage said...

Wow, did you get to watch what you want to watch on tv or did you wander around aimlessly?

Donita Curioso said...

Both. There was NOTHING good on tv. I did just watch the first 20 minutes of Craig Ferguson. That was good. But before that there was nothing on that I wanted to see.

I sat out here and surfed eBay, the weird stuff section. Yep. That's what I did. Big fun, that. And then I went in the house and discovered the dogs had had a big ol' trash party in the kitchen. Just for laughs I cleaned it up. (Oh, the evening's getting crazy now!) Let's see, I sat on the front porch for a while. (Somebody stop me!) Now I'm out here and in a few minutes I'll go to bed and stare at the ceiling. (Hose her down, folks! She's out of control!)

Crapola. I'm bored and awake.