Monday, February 28, 2005

Yeeesh!

Today Dad and I went to Harold's office to sign off on the taxes. Harold wasn't there so Vicki handled it. The penalties came to $3500! Major ouch. I again suggested to Dad that he give up the Christmas tree business and lease his land and hire a property manager. At first he was agreeable but later changed his mind. He wants to turn all the business stuff over to Harold. Vicki told him they could do that but all the information they would need would still have to come from Dad.

When we were driving home Dad was saying what a relief it was to know he could have everything sent to Harold directly. I reminded him that it would still be up to him to get his sales figures and payroll info to Harold and we don't know how well he will be a year from now. He thinks he still needs to have employees to do all the work with the trees. I told him if he lets the trees go he wouldn't have to hire someone to take care of them. He said, "How will that make money? It doesn't just fall out of the sky, you know." He was starting to get mad. Again I explained to him about leasing his land and hiring a management company to collect the rent for him. It went around a couple times more like that.

He thinks he's going to stay on top of things so that next year he can just hand over his figures to Harold. I know it ain't gonna be that way and NONE of us wants to take over his tree business. Even today he got a past due notice from the State Board of Equalization concerning the timber tax. He needs to report the total tree footage that was sold. He doesn't know where that information is! I already spent an hour today looking through his files for his resale number, which I found only because I got lucky.

I went to Clark's and got a bunch of supplements that are supposed to be good for Alzheimer's. Tomorrow I'm going to organize his vitamins and try to make it easier for him to take them. I got the Curcumin. I Googled it and read about it last night. Man, that stuff is good for everything! At least that's what the hippies at the vitamin companies say.

No comments: