Thursday, February 24, 2005

Groans and heavy sighs

That's what I've been doing for the last 10 minutes. I just gave Dad the news that he can't drive anymore.

I called the VA this morning to get Dad an appointment with his primary doc. They said he already has an appointment for March 8th. Then I had them switch me to the psychiatrist who heads the clinic where he got his Alzheimer's evaluation. I was suprised when the psychiatrist answered the phone (must have been a mistake. You NEVER get to talk to the VA docs on the phone). I talked to him about Dad's evaluation and bitched a bit about the intern who did it. She rushed through it because she had another patient coming in. I didn't feel like she got a good handle on Dad. Anyway, as shoddy as it was it did show that Dad has a problem and needs more evaluation.

He said he's going to recommend he go the the Geriatric Clinic and get his hearing tested and get a medication evaluation. He's also going to tell Dad's primary doc that Dad can't drive anymore and that the DMV should be notified.

The good news is the medication should (hopefully) restore some of Dad's memory after a couple months. I thought Dad would be heartened by that. Silly me.

I called Dad and told him about my conversation with the psych. He about hit the ceiling. He said this is the same as putting him in a cage. He thinks he's going to be sidelined and sit in a corner and watch the family have fun. Stuff like that. He was in a bit of a panic. He said he wants to go to a different doctor. I told him the result would be the same no matter what doctor he sees. He started trying to negotiate which of his faculties he could do without and still be able to drive, as if whatever medication they put him on could target those things. He was grasping at straws.

He's going to call the psychiatrist and try to get him to stop the process. He was hopping mad at first and I told him he couldn't call the psychiatrist and start yelling at him like he was a store clerk. By the time we ended our phone call he was mostly calmed down. I'll find out later how that conversation went. Dad also talked to Drew and I think that helped him a little.

I'm going to go clean house. Our accountant is coming over later. I'll write more when I've had a chance to digest the events of this morning.

Shit. (heavy sigh)

No comments: