Thursday, February 17, 2005

Break time's over

Dad is back in the fog. Actually, he's been there for a few days. He's pretty much the same as he was before he left for Texas.

He's been sick with a pretty bad cold. Today he went to the doctor and came back with a prescription for anitbiotics. The instructions are a little confusing so I guess I'm going to have to call him every morning and make sure he gets it right.

While he was at the VA he CANCELLED his psychiatrist appointment! I told him he souldn't have done that. He said he wanted to get all this other stuff out of the way first. He needs to schedule cataract surgery and get a physical but he really needs to get his Alzheimer's evaluation completed. There was no reason to cancel that appointment.

I didn't go with him to the doctor because he called at 7 this morning and said he was leaving right away. I haven't been feeling well for a couple days so I let him go. And since he didn't have an appointment it took him almost the whole day.

He still doesn't have his taxes done. I'm going to go to the bank with him tomorrow and try to get a print out of his deposits. Then I can figure out his Christmas tree sales. Once I get that I can take everything to Harold and get the taxes off the freakin' list. Somehow we've got to convince Dad he shouldn't have another tree season. We can't do this another year. Not unless he completely turns it over to someone else and I know none of us kids wants to do it.

But it's too soon to have that conversation. I don't think he'd go for it.

I'm feeling better. Maybe tomorrow I'll clean his kitchen. The other day I was over there and there were fruit flies all over the place. There must have been a piece of fruit rotting on the counter somewhere but I couldn't find it. The counters are covered with stuff and he keeps those old, holey tree stumps above the sink (objet d'art). It's a visual cacophony that makes me want to flee.

No comments: