Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Drawing a blank

Dad came over 3 times today. The last visit he was here for a long time. We talked about a lot of things, mainly how to handle what's coming. It was a good talk, sometimes confrontational, but good. He often had to search for words. There were times when he'd stop talking altogether, like he was shut down.

He called tonight and he was pretty upset. He said he wasn't doing well and that he just couldn't think. He was fighting just to be able to talk to me. I said, "Is it like you're drawing a blank all the time?" He said, "Yes! That's it!" I told him he should probably just go to bed and get some rest. I told him he'll probably be brighter in the morning. That's how it's been with him. His foggyness kinda comes and goes.

I told him he could call me if he's not feeling well. He's been complaining about feeling weak all the time. Tomorrow we're going to call the VA and make some appointments.

This shutting down thing is new. I need more info. The last time I was at Kaiser I saw a flyer advertising a class on being a caregiver. We all should take a class like that. I'll look into it.

No comments: