Thursday, July 03, 2008

A dream

Oh my god, I just had the most vivid dream I've had in years. I have to get this down before it drains away.

I was at this big picnic kind of event. My whole family was there. There was also this guy, Carl, that I know from uke group. Carl is a very nice man who has this awful skin condition where there are big, flaky patches on his hands, elbows and legs. Carl was kind of following me around because he was clearly smitten with me. He kept dropping little comments about me about how cute he thought I was. Finally he said, "Donita, I want to take you to Las Vegas. I want to go out with you. I really have fun when I'm with you." I'm thinking, cool, I'll go out with Carl. Maybe the skin thing isn't contagious. Really, he's a very nice guy.

We're going to different booths and events around this picnic thing. I lose track of Carl. Inside this concert hall I meet this guy who wants to perform with our uke group but he wants to play guitar and he doesn't want anyone strumming with him. As I'm explaining to him that that won't go over so well with the uke group, Carl walks up and we go find some seats for a concert that's about to start. Carl is having trouble getting comfortable in his seat because he's so fat (in reality, Carl isn't fat. A little husky maybe, but certainly not fat. In fact, he was his normal size all through the dream. He only got fat when he sat down for the concert). Lindsay and Paige arrive and sit in the row behind us.

Suddenly Jim walks up! He's starting to walk by and I say, "Oh my god, there's JIM!!" He stops, completely startled. He was just at the event and didn't know I'd be there. The girls and I are both yelling at him, "Where have you been?!?" Carl's getting mad because he's now just lost his chance at a relationship with moi. I tell Carl to shut up, I jump up and grab Jim and drag him outside. The first thing I do is hug him real hard. Then I drag him over to a bench and just start yelling, "You're DEAD! We had a funeral for you! (Here Jim turns white and starts breathing hard) I saw you dead! I watched you die! You stopped breathing and your lips turned blue!!!" Then he says he needs to get something to eat because he feels like he's going to faint. We start walking towards the snack bar. I said, "I saw you at the mortuary! You were on a gurney covered with a blanket! Jim, I had you CREMATED! I have your ashes at home!!! If those aren't your ashes, then whose are they?!?" We get to the snack bar and Jim orders a double burger, ketchup only, just like he always did. I'm still yelling at him and he's acting like this is the most amazing news he's ever heard. I kept asking him where he's been for a year and a half.

And then I woke up, feeling like a truck ran over me. Damn, I wish it had gone on longer so I could get an answer from him. Really, the boy has some esplainin' to do. He's shown up in my dreams before and I always ask him where he's been. But those were just flashes of Jim in dreams that were patchy and chaotic. This dream was very clear and linear and it seemed to go on forever. Hoo boy.

Ok, I have to get off this computer and go pack. I've got a long drive ahead of me.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ketchup only??

-dean

Donita Curioso said...

Always.

Ok, I'm hittin' the road!

vivage said...

This is a great dream for analysis.

Have fun, I hope you're arriving up there soon.

Nancy said...

Well, I think it's pretty easy to analyze.

Are ya here yet?

Anonymous said...

It has to do with ketchup.

-dean

Donita Curioso said...

Well, if anyone wants to analyze, feel free. Every time Jim shows up in a dream he looks like he did in high school.

Anonymous said...

You likee the long hair.

-dean