Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Unhappy kitten

Lindsay took Ivy to the vet today. He confirmed that she's an Ivy and not a Larry. She got her shots, a worming, a leukemia/AIDS test, an application of Frontline and endured the extraction of a stool sample. That's on top of all the big events of yesterday. She was captured, bathed, de-flea-ed (jeez, how do you spell that?), crated, transported and then smooched to death. She is one stressed out kitty.

She's seems to be settling in very well. Yesterday she was a bit skitty. She would take off every time we approached her. Tonight she sat on the bed and let me sit down next to her. She snuggled right up. I'm sure it's partly because she's wiped out.

This morning I went to work early to make sure everything got done before the big meeting today. I made coffee, filled the water pitcher and set out a tray with everything that would be needed. While I was pulling all that together the new Chancellor showed up. It was just me and him! I introduced myself and as he shook my hand he said, "Ah, Donita. I've been hearing good things about you." (Me, on the inside: Tra-la-la!) We chatted a little and then he said, "I don't have my computer here. I think they were supposed to set it up for me." I said, "I'll call the Help Desk and see what's going on." He was all impressed 'n' stuff. I got on the phone and called the Help Desk, who referred me to Facilities, who referred me to MoVal Facilities, who sent me to voicemail a couple of times and then hemmed and hawed about being the only one there, but finally agreed to, by gum, get it done! Yee-haw, I came through for the Chancellor! I was able to justify the good things he heard about me in the first five minutes of our meeting! And it went on like that for the first few hours of the day! His phone wasn't working. He said, "Could you also call someone to come look at my phone? It's gone dead." Well, that happens sometimes. They go out for some reason. You just enter the extension three times and push a different button in between. Voila! So, I quickly looked up his extension and tapped in the code. It worked, and I looked like a jeeen-yuss.

Man, I love shit like that. Half the time I feel like I just don't know enough to do my job. The people around me are so accomplished and experienced. I know I bring my own special gifts to the job. But there's limited opportunity when it comes to doing artsy stuff at the office. Today I had to perform for the new top dawg and I did more than ok. That's the kind of thing that will help get me full-time and bennies sooner rather than later.

Another funny thing happened. I received a Dismissal Probation letter from OUR office! I guess some computer somewhere finally kicked on and noticed my HORRIBLE grades from 33 freakin' years ago. My transcripts read pretty goofy. I have a few A's from back then, but also C's, D's, F's, W's, I's and maybe even a parking ticket. Who knows? But my grades from Santa Rosa are really great and my RCC grades since 2003 are all A's. So, why didn't I get that letter five years ago?

This morning I showed it to Patti, the matriculation assistant. She thought it was pretty funny. If I get a good grade in Health Science I'll be taken off probation. Wait, don't I have any pull with this office? C'mon, take me off probation now!

Damn bureaucracy.

13 comments:

vivage said...

Hey, you've got an in with the Chancellor, get him to dismiss your probation letter! One good turn deserves another. LOL.

Glad Ivy is doing well,she's probably starting her own little journal like the kitty in my blog.

Donita Curioso said...

Heh! She's plotting her revenge. She got a start on it this morning by taking a crap on my blow dryer cord. Aw, how cute!

Oh sure, I'll hit the ol' Chance up for some special treatment. Yeah, that would look great, wouldn't it?

vivage said...

What a cute patootie kitty!

Yeah, I guess you shouldn't be asking favors yet...but one day!

Anonymous said...

Why can't the pets understand that we stick them with needles and douse them with chemicals for their own good?

-dean

Donita Curioso said...

I know! She didn't seem grateful at all.

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

I got an F in Voice class taught by Dianne David. This was awhile after I had already gotten my BA. I had gotten cast in Brecht and Weil's "The Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny" at UCR and forgot to drop.

I always wonder whether anyone at any of the school districts I have worked at have ever noticed that on my transcripts.

Billy Canary said...

I got an F in badminton from Coach Mulligan. I tried to get him to change it years later, but he said no.
I got a D in Theatre Management at Cal. State San Bernardino from a costumer/teacher named Margaret, a veritable barge. On the day my Big Important Paper was due, the baby Zozo was born. So I turned it in the next day. But she gave me a D anyway. I reminded her that I turned it in and why it was late and she said she would change it, but she never did. Oh well, Cal. State grades are only worth half a U.C. grade. So who cares.

Donita Curioso said...

BABoR- Your secret is safe with me.

Bill- Wow, Margaret is a bitch.

Sorry. Oh man, I have something to say but I can't communicate right now. I migrain. Shit how do you spell it? Woo hoo, this is weird. Ow. I'm still at work. I still have about an hour. I hope this goes away soon or I won't be able to drive home.

Anyway, years ago I was taking a floral arranging class at SRJC. My mom died right before the final. Up until then I had A's on all the assignments. I called the teacher when I got to Riverside and she said not to worry about the final. When I got my grade she gqave me a C. I thought that was pretty crappy of her.

Scotty told me his transcripts are just as bad as mine and he just got his Doctorate last year. I found that to be pretty encouraging.

Damn-o-rama, my head hurts. I think it's getting better. At least the visuals have gone away.

Anonymous said...

I got a C in a constitutional law class at the University of Texas, which is bad because it wasn't a goof-off or an unforseen-circumstances grade, I really tried. For some reason I could not grasp the constitution, which qualifies me for office these days.

-dean

vivage said...

I hope you're migraining is all grained out and not ingrained.

Poor Migraineur.

Donita Curioso said...

I still have a bit of a headache and I feel totally blasted. Usually I don't get them this bad. This one is lingering.

Dean- Let's see, Bush went to Harvard, so that can't be it. I was trying to find a way to blame it on UT. Well, hey, I'll vote for you!

Billy Canary said...

Bush went to Yale... and Cal. State Channel Islands.

Donita Curioso said...

Ah, Yale. Thanks for the correction. Cal State Channel Islands? Are they acredited?