Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Food log

This week as an assignment for Health Science class I'm keeping a food log. I've done this before. One of the things about keeping a food log is you tend to eat less because you don't want to write too many things down. It works pretty well if you can keep it up. It kept me from snacking on nuts at work today.

Last night the teacher showed us a film about these two doctors who took four people, cleaned out their cupboards of everything that was bad for them, taught them how to shop and cook and gave them some exercises. The program lasted three months. Of course, in the end everyone had lost a lot of weight and looked fabulous. In one scene they took two of the people to the lab at their hospital. They had some human organs spread out on a table. First they picked up a normal heart. Then they showed an enlarged heart. Holy moley! I'd heard of someone having an enlarged heart but I never knew how big they could get. It was HUGE! They also had the aorta from the same person. They had it on the table with a normal aorta. Huge difference. That scene had quite an impact on me.

I don't have high cholesterol and my blood pressure has always been really good. Heart disease probably isn't the thing that will take me down. I'm going down the diabetes/cancer road. I'm sure in that lab they'd have some scary body parts that would pertain to my situation.

I've been spinning my wheels for months now, trying to start a diet but failing over and over. I think I'm ready now. It always helps to get a good, solid kick in the ass. I have a doctor's appointment on Monday. I'll discuss it with her. Tonight I walked the Rube. I'll write that in the food log as well. One thing that I like about being on a diet is when I'm controlling how much I eat I feel like the rest of my life is also in control. That would be a very good thing for me right now.

Today I had lunch at the RCC Culinary Academy. Man, that is Riverside's best kept secret. For $7.50 I had a salad, seafood pasta, bread and iced tea. I ate less than half of the seafood pasta and I was still comfortably full. And it was really good! It's just down the street from our office. I'll have the rest of the pasta for lunch tomorrow.

I have two more days in the Chancellor's office and then it's back to my regular schedule. I was glad to have the extra work because I can sure use the money, but it'll be nice not to have to get up at 6am every day. I have really enjoyed working over there. I wish they could bust out the walls so it could be one big office. I like working with everyone and the Chancellor is like someone's really nice dad. Plus, this office has a kitchen. Our office is hurtin' for a kitchen.

6 comments:

vivage said...

One of the women here has lost about 50 lbs (very recently). She went to a nutritionist and kept a food/calorie log. She found that she ate pretty well but that she was going over her allotted number by 200 calories.

200 isn't a big number but as the doc said to her, it adds up. So her inability to lose weight was due to a very small number of calories and not expending enough.

Food for thought. Pun intended.

Donita Curioso said...

I'm finding it's pretty easy to cut way back and still be satisfied. But I've been here before. It's always easy to diet when you're committed. But then after a while it gets boring or something will happen to knock me off track. I've done this enough times to know I can't ever say with certainty that this is it. But I have to at least try. This Health Science class is really good. Heh! I should take Health Science every semester just to stay motivated.

Donita Curioso said...

I've been printing out articles on inflammation. It's my new obsession.

vivage said...

I am an expert on imflammation. Did you know an anti-inflammatory removes inflammation? Bwhahahaha.

Donita Curioso said...

Wow! True?

I've been reading about how diet affects inflammation. It's no surprise that all the stuff they say is good for you really is good for you and all that stuff they say is bad, is bad. There are a few exceptions. They say to cut out stuff in the Nightshade family. That includes tomatoes! Of course, beef is very, very bad. I did some reading on grass-fed beef. It's much better for you but you can only get it mail order and it's 10 bucks a pound.

Yesterday I printed out about 60 pages of articles.

Donita Curioso said...

Oh yeah, I've been slacking off on taking my vitamins. Turns out most of the stuff I've been taking is very good for cutting down on inflammation. So, back to it!