Sunday, July 20, 2008

Gruber's show

Last night's show wasn't what I thought it was going to be. The new Largo has two rooms. Janeane Garofalo played the big room and her show started about an hour earlier. Gruber's show was in the little room. I like the little room. Very cozy. The show was typical Gruber-type stuff. Andy, Ben and Tommy were the band, with Gruber on piano for a few numbers. Andy's percussion set looked like a bunch of toys in a box. He sure got some sound out of it, though.

Jim Turner and Mark Fite did their stuff. You would recognize Jim Turner from SNL. Gruber also had a few guest performers. Not all of the material was strong but it was still a fun show. They ended the show with a segment called Sashay. I had heard about Sashay. It's where Jim Turner and Mark Fite basically go out and hump the audience. When they said Sashay was coming up I got a little squirmy. Well, the Sashay last night was pretty tame. They came out into the audience with boxes of chocolates. They went up to the women and struck suggestive poses, some pretty close, and gave each a piece of chocolate. It's pretty funny. It's all in the attitude and the costuming. They were wearing these cheesy disco outfits. They're both pretty dorky-looking guys but they acted like they were God's gift to women. For my sashay Mark gave me a hug and kissed the top of my head. Lindsay got a full-frontal straddle sashay from Jim. Such a friendly show. Afterward they sent us outside for cupcakes, which I thought was kind of strange. I mean, cupcakes?

While we were standing around chatting, Janeane Garofalo came out. She walked by a couple times, not too interested in the crowd from Gruber's show. Later, when we were standing outside the venue she walked by as she was leaving. She looked like she was desperate to get out of there. She was all alone, cigarette in hand, looking at the sidewalk and moving fast. I guess she was tired and wanted to get home. Yes, that's it. She sure has a lot of tattoos now.

We were going to meet at House of Pie but as I was driving over there I was starting to get pretty tired. It was already 12:30. I called Lindsay and told her I was going home.

It was a fun night. I need to do that more often.

8 comments:

Billy Canary said...

The cupcakes reminds me of the time Andy Kaufman played Radio City Music Hall. He told the audience that if they were good he would take them out for milk and cookies. When the show ended he told them they had been good and said "Follow me!" and he ran up the aisle and out the front of the theatre where there were all these buses lined up to take the aud out for milk and cookies.

vivage said...

I have to hand it to you, driving into and out of LA takes way more energy than I can muster.

Glad you had a good time.

Donita Curioso said...

I remember that story about Andy Kaufman. I'll tell Gruber he needs busses next time.

I've done that LA drive enough times now that it's no big deal. I was talking to one of Lindsay's friends when I was standing in line. She was amazed that I came to the show by myself. I told her that it's a fact of life now. If I don't go to things on my own I'll never do anything. Still, it's a drag going to movies alone.

Anonymous said...

Take a clipboard. People with think you're a critic.

-dean

Anonymous said...

Yes, they with.

-d

Donita Curioso said...

dsaypaige
With they?

Yes, I'm sure that would go over big, especially since the writers and performers are my FRIENDS who always put me on the GUEST LIST. I did have a pen and pad with me and I used them to write down a couple songs that might be fun to do. I felt weird doing that!

Anonymous said...

No no... going to the movies alone, not a live show with your friend in it. DUH. The movies.

-dean

Donita Curioso said...

Oh! Ok, that makes much more sense. A middle-aged woman at the movies alone with a clipboard trying not to look completely pathetic. Sign me up!

I don't mind going to the LA shows alone because Lindsay and Kyle are always there, so I guess I'm not really alone. Anyway, I'd probably go even if they weren't. I do feel kind of like an appendage, tho. It's ok, I know they love me.

It's just different at the movies. It's more fun to have someone to share the experience with. I'll probably get over it eventually. This being single thing is still pretty new.