Friday, July 18, 2008

Rough afternoon

Fridays are the only time I can get business handled. Today I tried to complete the stock ownership transfer. I had everything all ready to go except for this small estate affidavit form I needed from the county. I went to the offices downtown and the clerk told me they don't have forms there. Kind of rude and not at all helpful. This is the stuff that makes me crazy. It would take so little effort to speak one additional sentence that would make a world of difference to the person asking you for help. I told her that as far as I knew this was the place I needed to be. After going in circles for a few minutes she finally told me that the form can be downloaded or I could find one at a stationary store. She handed me a little flyer with all the information I needed. Thank you, MORON!

I came home and looked it up. The small estate affidavit is for estates UNDER $100,000. AAARRGGHH!!! The guy I talked to at Fidelity told me that was the form I needed because my stock holdings are much less than $100,000. Ok, but what about the rest? There's the 401K and some other stuff. Why didn't he at least ASK me about that before telling me to get the wrong form?

I called Fidelity and asked about the whole thing. What I really need is either a letter of appointment or a letter of testamentary. Ok, how do I know which one to get? How do I get it once I know? Well, I have to go through probate! CRAP! I told her I thought in California everything just pretty much automatically transfers to the surviving spouse. She said IRAs do. Bank accounts do. Not stock and other assets. She said I probably should hire a lawyer or I could buy a NOLO book called How to Probate an Estate. Oh sure, like THAT'S a good idea.

So, how much does a freakin' probate lawyer cost and how do I find a good one? This is making me kind of sick. After I got off the phone I just lost it. This shit is endless.

I took a nap and woke up feeling a little better. I helps a lot to have a small kitten chewing on my fingers and toes while I'm trying to sleep. She's such a doll. Ivy lightens the mood. I goofed off for a while and then went out to the garage and moved things around. It always feels good to make some progress on the house.

But damn, I was really thinking I was on track with the business stuff. I don't know how long it will take me to get this handled. It's funny, because the other items I took care of that were very similar didn't require any special forms. I filled out what they sent me, had it all notarized and mailed it off. And now it will be another week before I can deal with it.

I sure do wish I knew about this stuff a year ago when I still had money for a lawyer. I'm going to see what kind of help they can give me down at the court house. I'll check out that NOLO book.

An oh yeah, Paige just rolled up on a different motorcycle. She bought another one. This one is bigger, 700ccs, and the frame is too tall for her. But hey, it's painted white with blue flames so it must be perfect. I stood out in the street and told her several times that she needs to keep looking for the right bike. This one is just too big. She turns 18 in a week. Once she gets her license she'll be riding on the streets.

Where's that kitten?

8 comments:

vivage said...

Ivy might need to be renamed to Zanex or Prozac.

I'm sorry you're still having to go thru red-tape hell. You might check to see if AARP can get you discounted legal help (join if they can). I don't think probate for a husband/wife relationship is as bad as parent/child probates. Usually probate lawyers will take a case on a continguency basis. But that also might be continguent on the size of the settlement.

All wills go to probate court unless you have your stuff in a trust. But estates with good wills go much faster than wills that are not executed correctly.

Donita Curioso said...

Well, in this case there was no will. I wouldn't think you'd need one. I mean, it's community property, right? Do I need a will to inherit my own stuff? If Jim had put both our names on everything I wouldn't be messing around with this.

Note to all you married couples- Put BOTH names on EVERYTHING.

There's no settlement that I can think of. I do plan on selling some of this stock once it's free and clear. I guess I can pay the lawyer out of that.

Yes, little Ivy is indeed a Prozac kitty. Last night we had a great wrestling session on my bed. She was doing those hilarious kitty leaps them kittens do. Then she stopped and snuggled up next to me. She wanted to sleep next to my head but the purring was way too loud. It's too soon to tell what her grown up personality will be but if her behavior right now is any indication, she's going to be the best cat ever. She's already the coolest kitten I've ever had, and that's saying something. She's very tummy-rub tolerant and when she plays she's very gentle, even when she's chewing and clawing.

Tonight I'm going to a show at the Largo. It's funny. All Lindsay said was Gruber is doing a show on Saturday. He has this character he does as a warm up act, which is what I suspect he'll be doing tonight. He's very good at it. When I looked it up on the Largo website I saw that the show is Janeane Garofalo and Friends! Cool!!!

umajc- Aw, thanks

vivage said...

Yeah, I don't know why community property stuff isn't just automatically yours but I've heard enough stories to know it's never that simple.

Have fun tonight!

Donita Curioso said...

Thanks! The Largo has changed venues so I don't know what the show will be like. It used to be a small nightclub kind of setting. Now I think it's more like a small theater. We'll see.

Anonymous said...

When we moved last year I couldn't do any of the utilities and address changing because Greg had put everything at the old house in his name. It was really inconvenient. So when we got into our new house, we put everything in both our names so now I can talk to the electric company.

I suddenly reeeeeeaaaallllly wish California were voting tomorrow to ban motorcycles.

-dean

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that name stuff is really important. We even manage to get all of our free address labels created in Jon's name.....One out of every 74 sheets we get has my name on them, and I hoard them like crazy for those special occasions where I want people to know I exist - (Like Christmas...) I know it's dumb, but it's one more example of how I don't live with Jon.... Doni, I'll have Jon read your latest posts - he's been through the ringer with this stuff - he might be able to give you some insight!

Mary

Anonymous said...

I forgot to write this at the end of what I just posted -

bhzkarx - what you say in the most irritated way when things get so darned frustrating!

Donita Curioso said...

Well, you know me. When things get so darned frustrating I usually say FUCK!!!!!

I'd appreciate Jon's input.

Ack! I burned my wrist on the oven rack.

Dean- I've had that problem before. You just don't think something like that is important when you set things up. And then one day when you really need to get something done they won't talk to you.