Sunday, July 27, 2008

An afternoon with Bob

Jim and Bob, back in the day.My good buddy from high school days came to Riverside yesterday. He has a friend who is appearing in the musical A Little Night Music that's running at Community Players right now. Bob emailed me last week and asked if I'd like to see it with him. Sounded like a great way to spend an afternoon.

The play was so-so. The songs were clever and fun but the show just doesn't hang together very well. There were some pretty funny moments which probably weren't meant to be funny. In one scene the young man in the play was trying to hang himself. The "hanging tree" was a branch that they lowered from the ceiling. It looked more like a perch for a very large parrot. For the big show-down scene between the two older male characters this guy brought out a tiny statue on a pedestal that was supposed to evoke a garden space, but really just looked like a tiny statue standing in the middle of the floor. The women in the show did a lot of walking around, holding up their long dresses. That looked pretty weird to me. Back in the day when long dresses were in style if women had had to hold them up that much they would have been saying, "Hey, we need to hem these dresses up a couple of inches."

The other kind of quietly hilarious moment came when the old-lady-in-a-wheelchair character came out. Damn, she looked awfully familiar. I looked her up in the program and her name was Janet Hodge. I didn't know a Janet Hodge but I knew a Janet-formerly-Schrader-formerly-Lang. Yep. It was Janet, Dad's second wife. From her bio in the program it looks like the old bitch has been busy. I tried talking to her after the show but she was swamped by her adoring fans.

It's interesting to me that almost no one in the cast was from Riverside. This ain't no small town. I'm sure there are plenty of talented people who live here who could have done a much better job in some of those roles. So, what's up with that?

After the show Bob had a hankerin' for Mexican food so we went to Olivia's for dinner. The food was good and the conversation was great. We had a lot of catching up to do. After that we came back to my house and split a bottle of wine. It was so nice spending some time with Bob. We talked about our kids, our health (y'know, middle-aged stuff), what it's like to be single at this time in our lives (he's recently divorced), and (ugh!) dating. He's tried it and is pretty fed up with the whole process. I'm pretty sure it's not for me. Like WAY not. Right now I'm more interested in meeting new people and making friends.

It was a comfortable, warm visit. Bob says there's lots of fun stuff to do in Long Beach so I'm going to go visit him one of these weekends. He's doing Inherit the Wind at the end of August. I'll go see him in that.

Thanks, Bob! I had fun.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sweetie. I am so honored to have made your blog!!!! Feel like I've hit the big time.

I had a wonderful time too. So good to re-connect with my friend.

Thank you also for posting Jim's and mine photo. Memories come flooding back, WOW!

Take care.

Donita Curioso said...

Hell yeah, you've made the big time! I have about 30 regular readers. You're famous now.

I tried to find the pictures of us at my house before we went to the prom. I know I've got it on this computer somewhere.

See you soon!

Anonymous said...

This photo must have been taken early in the war. Their uniforms are so clean.

Is Jim taking Bob prisoner?

-dean

Donita Curioso said...

Well, you know how it was with that war. Brother against brother 'n' stuff. That was taken at Thanksgiving when both of them were on leave.

They were both pretty cute back then, weren't they?

Anonymous said...

Yes they were. How come Bob got skinny and the rest of us got fat?

-dean

Anonymous said...

Worms?

Donita Curioso said...

Bob, do you have worms?

Anonymous said...

Worms?.......

I just love being sweet-talked this way.

Anonymous said...

Heh, heh, welcome to Doni's blog, Bob!

Billy Canary said...

I don't care if Bob has worms. He's still Victor Frankenstein to me. Watta cool picture.