Saturday, August 02, 2008

Getting things done

Ah! A very productive day today. I made a lot of room in the garage and filled up the truck with thrift store donations. I made a ton of phone calls and got business-type crap handled. I'm going to continue the process tomorrow. It felt so good to be able to devote a whole day to working on the house. And tomorrow I get to do the same thing! Really, this does make me very happy.

Tonight I met Bill and Virginia and a bunch of their friends at Coco's. Their daughter, Zoey, is doing Beauty and the Beast at RCC so they all went out for an after-show snack. It was a nice way to wrap up the day. I saw the show on Wednesday, which was their last rehearsal. I had been at Health Science class and had just taken a test. I was sitting in my car going over my notes basically just to see how badly I had done. Suddenly I saw Virginia's face in my window. Scared the crap out of me! She told me that the director was letting the parents go to that last rehearsal so they could take pictures. She invited me to come along. I had already bought my ticket for Thursday's show, but hey, what the hell. I enjoyed watching it but the show had a lot of flaws. It was like watching a stage show at Disneyland. Tonight I found out that the recorded music was sweetened with recorded vocals. I mean, come on! Oh well, it was still fun to see Zoey on stage.

I'm pretty sure I've dropped a few pounds. My clothes are fitting looser. Happy dance. Last night I zoomed up Mt. Rubidoux. Keep going, keep going. I'll write more about that in a later post.

Ivy is growing like a weed. She's at that gawky kitten stage. She's still a little cuddle buddy but she won't hold still for a hug until after you've worn her out with some rough play. Sometimes while I'm sleeping she'll lick me on the nose. It's a bit of a shock feeling that rough tongue when I'm in the middle of a dream. I sure do like her.

It's late but I can't sleep.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've almost inspired me to vacuum.

-dean

vivage said...

I often scare people by looking at them thru windows. Although I don't think I scare my daughter much. LOL.

I really wish I felt happy cleaning the house like you do. I just feel sweaty.

Donita Curioso said...

Well, sweat is certainly a big part of the equation.

Ok, drum roll, please....

I am about to attempt changing my old, leaky bathroom faucet. Yes, I am plumbing. I'll let you know how it goes.

Donita Curioso said...

Ok! I got the faucet off, which is a major accomplishment since I fully believe it was originally installed by fairies and/or Jesus.

Donita Curioso said...

The drain trap broke! Drew came by to drop off some of my stuff and took a look at my progress. When he was trying to remove the drain the pipe just plain disintegrated. It took a long time to get out the rotten pipe. Another trip to Home Depot.

I just had lunch and now I'm going to attempt to install the new pipes. Cover me. I'm goin' in.

Billy Canary said...

OK. Maybe I will attempt to fix the leaky-ass faucet in the front shower...and the spigot in the was front yard...and the sprinkler brains in the middle yard and the motion detector lights in the carport.... and the electric gate and the TV. I'm a Man... I spell M. A. N.

Donita Curioso said...

Oh yeah? Well, hear me roar for I am woman. I was semi-successful. The faucet is installed and it doesn't leak. But you won't be able to use the sink stopper because the thingy you pull up is set at an angle and it hits the wall. I laughed when I discovered that little fuck up.

I couldn't finish installing it because I'm having problems with the whole pipe and trap assembly. When the old owners took out the original vanity (what the HELL were they thinking?) the new sink didn't line up with the pipes. They had used this flexible plastic pipe with lots of accordion folds that can catch every piece of crap that gets washed down the drain. I bought all the replacement pipes, including the accordion thing. But none of it is going on tightly. So, this will be a two part plumbing job. It's ok. At least the leak is fixed and that was the thing that was driving me completely nuts. And the new faucet looks good. It only took 5 1/2 hours to do a 30 minute job.

Yeah, that vanity. The original vanities in these Sungold bathrooms are so cool. Our other bathroom still has the original. The one in this bathroom is completely cheesy and the sink is butt ugly. Someday I'd love to change it. For now I'll paint it and change out the hardware. I'm so glad Gammer and Gaffer didn't ruin all of this house's original 50s features. They remodeled the kitchen but kept the original cabinets. The front bathroom is the only thing they screwed up.

Well, maybe not the only thing.

Wow, that was quite a job. I need to switch gears and do something fun.

vivage said...

yeah, cuz summer is almost over.

We have a lot of broken stuff, I might have to call you Donita to fix it.

Donita Curioso said...

I knew a woman in Santa Rosa who would have her best friend come over and help her clean house. Then they'd clean the friend's house together. It was a way to share the workload and have a nice visit. I think that's a great idea.

I don't have a hell of a lot of expertise but I'd be willing to help with those projects. But that does mean that Bill would have to put in some time over here. Jim and I used to do that stuff together and I miss it.

Boo hoo! Summer IS almost over!

Anonymous said...

As a Texan I rejoice that summer is almost over... except in Texas it isn't.

-dean

xwrag--Agent Scully's... oh nevermind

Donita Curioso said...

It's almost 11:00pm right now. It's actually kind of cold outside. I've been so used to having it be warm at night.

Really, I'm kind of looking forward to some cooler weather so I can get more work done outside.