Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween!

No decorations, no costume. First time in 20 years. And it's ok.

I'm going to drive around and look at other people's decorations. Jim and I were always so invloved in our own displays that we never got to go around and see what other people do. I'm going to check out the new neighborhood and see if there's any action and then I'll go to Kevin and Mary's and hang with them and their friends. And when it's over I'll get in the car and come home. Simple.

When we decorated we'd have to tear everything down and pack up before we came home. At that time of night after spending the whole day setting everything up we'd be so dog dead tired we could barely move. How nice it will be to just get in the car and go.

The girls put some very cool costumes together. I'll post photos tomorrow. Lindsay went as a German beer maid, complete with beer mugs. She used Paige's black bodice with a green skirt and red, poofy petticoat. She's majorly boobilicious. I found eight plastic beer mugs at the dollar store. I painted the inside with clear acrylic that was tinted yellow to look like beer. Then I sprayed in some foam insulation and painted it white to look like beer foam. I used zip ties to clamp them together, two bunches of four glasses. The whole thing put together looks pretty cool.

Paige's costume is hard to name. It all started with the shoes. She found these awesomely bitchy, black and white spectator pumps. One black stocking, one white. White miniskirt, red lace bustier, black blazer. She put a white ribbon around the crown of Jim's enormous stovepipe hat. Gabe was dressed to match.

Yep. For me, this year just was not a happenin' thing. I'll have a nice display next year at the new house. Not the big, ka-blammo displays we used to do but something special and small. And I'm pretty sure the weekend before we'll have a party.

See you next year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the year I finally came out for your Halloween bash, I could not beLEEEEEVE the work involved.
The full day of set up and then the tearing down. My god the tearing down. Phew.

I just watched the tail end of The Haunting. Yee gods that's a scary movie.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

vivage said...

Well? How was the new neighborhood? You'll have to have lots of candy in that neighborhood, tons of kids everywhere.

Donita Curioso said...

Dean- Yup. Lots of work. Last year's display was the best. Jim and I took three days to set it up and two days to tear it down. We did it in Kevin's back yard so we didn't have to worry about theft.

And Jim wasn't into it. A few months before his stroke we noticed that he got really slow. All of his movements were slow. I suspect a mini stroke. When we were setting up the display I was doing most of the running around. Jim would basically just do what I asked and then sit down. I started thinking maybe we're too old to do this. Maybe it's time to pass it along to someone else. I'm still going to pare down and get rid of some stuff. But some of the things I really like, like my monster party and the props for the witch's lair. I've already gotten rid of the headstones.

Virginia- Cruising the new neighborhood made me happy. Lots of people decorated. There weren't as many kids as there are in Kevin's neighborhood but there were still a lot. They seemed to travel in BIG clumps. And on Laredo/Durango there weren't many houses that looked like they were open for business. I'm going to have to set up a strobe and lots of big lighting to get people to come up to my house.

I'm looking forward to next year.