Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Stuff

Yesterday I experimented with some casting resin. Ooh, fun stuff. A long time ago Dean sent me some unused bottle caps. I took five of them and scraped colored chalk into them until I had a little pile of color in each one. Then I mixed up some resin and poured it into the caps. Then I stirred them (carefully) until the chalk dust was well mixed. I set those aside. I had a bit of resin left over so I decided to see what else could be imbedded in it. Sometimes things will discolor in resin. I rubber stamped an image with gold ink on a piece of paper and dropped it in. I also put in some flakes of acrylic paint for color. Both of these things worked just fine. It gave me an idea for a fun little art piece.

The casting worked really well. I guess my measuring and mixing were just right. Today I'm going to finish the bottle caps by imbedding some trinkets in clear resin. When those are set I'll drill holes in them and string them up as a funky necklace. If it all turns out I'll develop it into a Michael's class.

Yesterday I also made the first steps of a spooky mirror frame. This is another class idea. I made some fake bones out of air dry clay. Then I cut a frame out of some foam core. I set the frame on a board covered with newspaper. Then I squirted on some spray foam insulation. While it was still wet I embedded the bones and some big round beads for eyeballs. The foam expanded up around the bones and eyeballs. It worked pretty well except some of the bones sunk down too far into the foam. Right now it doesn't look like much but when it's painted it'll look like a bunch of gross body parts with bones and eyeballs sticking out. Then I'll attach the mirror. A lovely addition to anyone's Halloween decor.

I'll also do a monster version and a Hellmouth version. It's a pretty fun project although I'd consider it to be advanced. I love that spray foam!

On Sunday Jeff, Bill and I performed at Eden Lutheran Church for their 119th anniversary celebration. We just played ukuleles and sang some songs. It was pretty cool. First they had a potluck lunch. Then some people got up and told stories of their experiences at Eden. One woman, who was the most enjoyable speaker, was 97 years old. I could have listened to her all afternoon. She had been at Eden since she was very young. They actually used to have services there in Swedish.

After the eating and storytelling we performed. I think we did ok although I'm never satisfied with my performances. We didn't have sound, just one mike that was placed way too far. Jeff and Bill can really project and I just can't match them without pushing. So I don't think I sang as well as I wanted to. But the audience enjoyed the show and at the end they took up a collection. We made $94!

Some of the folks from Hope were there. The big treat of the day was seeing Albert and Elise Maas. I haven't seen them in at least 15 years. Elise was one of Mom's best friends. They are such dear people.

Afterward Jeff and Bill and I drove to Claremont to the folk music center. Bill bought a uke for one of his students. After that we had dinner at a restaurant down the street. It was a very enjoyable day. I always have fun hanging out with those guys.

Today I'm going back to Ramona to work on the bridge prop. Jeez, I hope I can finish it today! Tomorrow night is my first class. This morning I'm going to Michael's to see if anyone has signed up. I'm going to hang up some skeletons and cards around the store. If I don't get any sign ups by tomorrow morning I'm going to cancel the class.

Dad was really foggy last night. He was trying to tell me about some trouble he was having but he barely made sense. He's better this morning.

It's a beautiful day. The weather is just dreamy.

5 comments:

Nancy said...

You are so loaded with ideas - Have you considered researching book proposals to publishing companies? Rodale Press and C&T Publishing come to mind. Just a thought, since your ideas are every bit as good as most craft books out there. You have the skills to come up with the ideas, make the items and do the writing; they edit it, take the photos & lay out the book & publish it. There's no reason why we shouldn't be seeing your books on the shelf at Barnes & Noble. If I were you, I'd cruise the crafts section of the bookstores and take down a few publishers names. Their websites may even have areas to submit proposals.

I know you have a load on your plate right now; I just thought I'd toss out the idea.

Good luck with your class!

Nancy

Anonymous said...

You want we should save you more bottle caps, because we have to open them differently than we usually do if you want to use them. If we open them the regular way, we bend them.

And Nancy is right about the books.

--dean

vivage said...

That is hysterical about the bottle caps and resin. I got 3 bottle caps from my kids and their pal when we whent shopping because they bought sodas with bottle caps that did not need a bottle opener. I got them specifically because I wanted to make some charms with them.

I have 2 kinds of resin right now and need to go get some mold release because I want to make cabachons for my beading. Ihave some molds I can use, both a commercial one and some I've made out of a 2 part mold product.

How syncronistic eh?

I was wondering who would actually post about the church gig. The hub won't cuz something is wrong with his logging into blogger (I have no idea what the prob is tho) and the BIL is a bust with keeping up his blog. So am glad you posted about it.

Donita Curioso said...

Nancy- Now that I'm actually starting to put my ideas into an instructional format I could actually make this work. It might take a couple of years to pull it all together. Right now I'm making stuff and taking photos of all the steps. I'm writing instructions as I go. I'll send you my instructions on the little skeleton so you can see what I've done.

Dean- Heh! Hold off on that for now. You sent a lot the first time. If I end up doing this a lot I'll order them online.

Virginia- WE NEED TO HAVE A CRAFT DAY!!! You and me on a Saturday afternoon. I need input!

vivage said...

okay dokey, just tell me the craft and I'll bring over whatever supplies I have to play with.