Thursday, October 18, 2007

Making the offer

Today Dede and I went to Sherri's so Dede could sign the papers for the offer on the house. Sherri's been in contact with the owner's niece, who is also their realtor. She said they're anxious to get the deal done. Sherri thinks they'll accept the offer. Jeez, if they do we'll be getting a great deal on that house.

Escrow is supposed to close on December 12th. A wednesday! We'll have one day to move! Plus I want to get new carpet before we move in! Oh, dear.

I've been putting boxes into the storage unit. Now I'm thinking I need to get the furniture in there as well. Then if all goes according to plan I can move anything else into the garage while work is being done on the house. Man! Only one day to get everything out of here!

My emotions are all over the place. I'm happy that my job as main caregiver will soon be over. I'm happy I'm getting a house. But the reason all this is happening is my father is losing his mind. And if Jim was still alive I never would have asked for the house. I can't let go and be completely happy about this move. I'm working on it.

I really think this is going to be a fun house to play with. It's 1700 square feet, the biggest house I've lived in since leaving home. Man, for 31 years I've been living in houses that were too small. I think this one will work just fine. There are some things I want to do right away like replace the carpet and get the wallpaper down, but most of it I can live with for a while.

The yards are really nice. Lots of Kohl/Dudley potential there. Our friends, Michael and Teri, have the most adorable yard in the world. The last time I was there I took lots of pictures. Loads of inspiration there. I probably wouldn't do much in the front yard because it's established and it looks pretty good. The back yard is already pretty nice but it will be fun to rip out some of the old, spent landscaping and freshen the whole thing up with plants and art. I'm excited about that. And a patio. Gotta make a patio.

Drew brought Dad home this evening. We talked a little while about the trip. Drew looked pretty beat. I expected Dad to call and yell at me for cleaning out his closets. Dede did most of that work but I helped some. We got rid of a lot of stuff today. He never called. Maybe he was just too tired. I'm sure I'll hear about it tomorrow.

Wow. This is a pretty weird time. I think by February things should settle down.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy, it really sounds like you've got that house. I'm surprised they don't want to wait just a LITTLE longer to see if they get a better offer, but glad that they don't! Because it hasn't been on the market long, has it? KC's already talking about staying in your spare room next time she goes to Riverside.

I won't give her your address if you don't want her.

Donita Curioso said...

Hee, hee! Of course she can stay with me. But I really won't have a spare room until Lindsay moves out in the summer. I am going to get a sleeper sofa for the family room. Or she can camp out on an inflatable mattress. But yes, she can stay with me.

Gammer and Gaffer might counter but from what I've heard they need to get the house sold because they're moving up to Oregon to be closer to their son. They've already put an offer in on a place up there. They've been in that house for 45 years and now they're living on a reverse mortgage. I think they need to get out and not mess around with wheeling and dealing. But who knows?

They did tip their hand a little. The house is priced at $379,000. Sherri was talking to the niece and told her that our offer was going to be low. The niece said, "Oh... they really wanted to get $365,000". Well, that just happens to be my upper limit (self-imposed). The offer is for $355,000. They just might go for it.

This morning I'm filling up my truck. We've got 54 days until the move. How amazing would it be if I took one truckload a day to storage? Paige is having a party next Saturday so I won't take any furniture until after that. But I can take everything that's in the apartment and the storage trailer. I can take the ceiling fans and other fixtures down the weekend before we move. I can clear everything out of the studio except the computer.

If the owners get their stuff out of the garage soon enough I might be able to move some stuff in there before the deadline. We'll see.

Jeez, I need to shop for carpet!