Saturday, November 03, 2007

Big workday

I've noticed that these workdays are slow getting off the ground but once everyone get's their stuff together (tools, hats, music, iced tea, gloves, going to the store, whatever) a LOT of work gets done pretty darn fast. This morning we started in the barnyard. I had called Hector and asked him if he wanted to help us. I also asked him to bring 5 guys to help. We thought they'd be here first thing this morning but they weren't showing up. Turns out he was working his regular job. Duh! Of course.

We worked on the barnyard for a while. David took Dad to breakfast and then to see the assisted living place. Dad loved it! He complained that he didn't like the whole idea but he went along with it and even got a little enthusiastic. He likes the fact that there a lot of women there. I never would have dreamed that he'd like it right off the bat. I really expected a big dramatic scene. I still think one of us should stay with him at first. We can take turns. But man, I never thought he'd take it this well.

Stacey, Drew and I are kinda gimpy from back injuries and recent surgery so we weren't able toget as much done. Still, one dumpster was half-loaded and all of the old tires had been removed. Good progress.

Stacey and Scotty had to leave go to Audra's singing debut (go, Audra!). Dad went with them! Mindy, Dede and I went up to Dad's house and started working on cleaning out closets. Yegawdamighty! Mindy and I worked on the hall closet. Half of it was Mary Alice's old stuff and half of it was tools. Really crazy tools, too. Big, gnarly tools. Then we started on the kitchen drawers. We didn't even get to the drawers with actual kitchen stuff in them. We cleaned out the kitchen office drawers. These were full of smaller tools, hardware and general garbage.

Hector and the guys showed up around 3:00. They jumped in and kicked ASS! They were really fun to work with. There was a bit of a language barrier but we managed to joke around quite a bit. And two of the dumpsters got filled. They're coming back tomorrow.

Stacey came back to work while Scotty kept Dad at their house. We were able to work the entire day without dealing with Dad. What an amazing difference that makes! When we were done we all went to Stacey and Scotty's for dinner. College Man Mike joined us. Fun night. And tomorrow we get to do it all again.

The only snag of the day was when the bees got a bit miffed at David. While he was trying to bat them away he knocked his glasses off and got stung. Now he can't find his glasses and had to wear his prescription shades to watch tv at Stacey's. Maybe we'll find them tomorrow.

It's kind of weird. Everything has to go. Almost everything in Dad's house has to go. So, as we're doing the clean-up today I kept coming home with stuff. I mean, everybody's taking something home. Drew and I have gotten most of it, mainly because Dede and Stacey are interested in just a few things. We're setting some things aside for Debbie. But it just feels weird. I have to remind myself that it has to go.

Strange thing, this shifting of stuff. I've been doing the same thing with Jim's stuff. Everything he owned now belongs to me, right? But so much of it is stuff I can't use. So, out it goes. And that feels wrong. But it's my stuff. What IS this stuff?

Today was a good day.

3 comments:

vivage said...

What a great post Donita. The camaraderie and love shines thru your words.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe your dad! I bet he changes back and forth, but at least there's back and forth. I was sure he was going to freak, too.

I've had dreams where I get to clean out a house full of junk and I find treasures: either cases full of old coins or antique Christmas ornaments. It's always one or the other.

It felt weird getting rid of my mom's stuff, too. I couldn't believe the stuff she'd packed away in that little condo--and she didn't have alzheimer's, either. That was just normal.

--dean

Donita Curioso said...

Virginia- Stacey and Dede and I were talking about this today. We figured out that we are not the norm. Most families can't put a Thanksgiving dinner together without major warfare breaking out. We Lang kids and spouses happily dive into cleaning out these nasty, probably toxic, dirty, dusty barns and have a great time doing it. When big decisions need to be made about Dad or whatever we do a very good job of pulling together. I appreciate my family in so many ways.

Dean- Heh! Not too many treasures in the barns and Dad's house but we have come across some kinda cool stuff. But 95% of what we've pulled out is complete garbage.

Today Dad came out while Dede, Stacey and I were cleaning out a barn and chucking it all into a dumpster. He immediately flipped out about how wasteful we are, how we're throwing money away. I told him he probably shouldn't watch us doing this because it'll only upset him. He told me to shut up and do as I'm told. We all tried to tell him that everything has to go but he just kept on. We just kept working, throwing stuff into the dumpster. He finally said, "Well! I'm going inside and watch tv!" Later Stacey saw him taking stuff out of his house and hiding it in the pool room. Yeah, ok, whatever.

Ugh! I'm dirty. Gonna shower and head over to Stacey's for dinner.