Sunday, October 21, 2007

Trinkets

Today my job at Mickeys was demonstrating how to make Halloween party favors. Not party favors in general, just these little tins with clear lids that you can decorate for whichever holiday or party theme you want and fill with candy. It took me about 15 minutes to make five of them. So, what am I going to do, decorate the whole flipping box of tins for 2 3/4 hours?

I helped customers a lot. At one point I was called away from my table for a long time. When I got back this woman was sitting there just happily using the glue gun decorating a tin for her little boy. WTF??? Oh sure, if you see an unmanned demo table with supplies and a hot glue gun then of COURSE it's an open invitation to just have a seat and start crafting! When I explained to her that this was just a demo and not a class she was very apologetic. I was nice about it and even let her kid keep the tin and candy (probably got his snotty hands all over it anyway). But jeez! That was pretty stupid.

Yesterday I was supposed to demo the Versatool, which is kind of like a wood burning tool but with many more uses. I was supposed to carve one of the fake pumpkins with it. But the pumpkins are all coated with this orange paint that doesn't work at all well with the Versatool. The paint just gums up the hot point and creates toxic fumes. That demo sucked.

While I was doing that a woman came in and asked about my skeleton class. I said, "Sure!" and immediately put the burnt pumpkin away. I gathered up some supplies and set up class. Only we didn't have the right diameter of wire and NO paper twist, which is the main component of the Paper Twist Skeleton. I had to give her my supply of wire and paper twist. It was kind of embarrassing trying to pull it all together. She was very nice about it.

Hey, Odiens. She knows you guys. She's a Bojo (sp?)

We had a nice time and she went home with a good looking little skeleton. Then today the girl who is supposed to keep the paper twist stocked told me that they're discontinuing it! So much for my class. I cancelled what was left on the schedule and took down all the little skeletons that I had scattered around the store. It's actually a relief.

So, that does it for my Mickey's schedule. I'll still do demos here and there but I'm not going to commit to any classes until after the first of the year.

Kyle's here this weekend. He brought the kitties. It's nice to see them.

It's WINDY!

3 comments:

vivage said...

It was Bow? Who teaches at Bill's school?

Pssst, if you ask almost any stranger in town if they know Bill the answser will invaribly be yes. I swear no matter where we go he knows someone.

It's kind of weird.

Donita Curioso said...

No, it was Eleanor. She said her sister was his girlfriend for a while.

I know! Bill knows EVERYBODY.

vivage said...

well, that doesn't suprise me he had a jillion girlfriends before me.

Sort of a man whore I think.