Thursday, October 25, 2007

Ow, ow, ow! Damn, damn damn!

I pulled my back yesterday. I did the classic no-no. I picked up a heavy box and then twisted my torso. I felt it go "ping". Ten minutes later it hurt like hell. Oh well, at least I got one truckload off to Goodwill.

But now I'm out of commission. I can barely walk, let alone pack anything. Last night was interesting. I had to plan ahead for any bathroom visits. I dreamed I sprained my ankles. I started calling out for ice and tried to get up. When I couldn't I called out for Jim. That woke me up. I struggled up and sat there for a while. That was kind of a stunner. Jim wasn't there to help me.

Today I'm taking Dad to the doctor. His ribs still hurt from his big fall. He said the pain is better but it seems to be more in the front now. I can drive and walk ok, just a little slow. I can handle taking him to the doctor. Maybe I'll swing by the packaging store and get some big boxes.

Man, things are just falling apart around here. We have one functioning toilet, the back fence blew down and the septic blew up the other day. C'mon, house, hold it together. Just a few more weeks.

6 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

Bleah. Bud Lyon just drove up. I was supposed to turn off the water to the back field but I turned the valve the wrong way. He said we've used more water than we have all year. He was on the edge of bitchy. Ok, I'm sorry I screwed up. I'm sorry I don't understand the intricacies and nuances of Dad's Brazil-like water system. But you know, I don't fucking care. At first it was Jim's job to deal with the water. Nobody asked him, it was just assigned. Then after he died it was assigned to me. Sometimes Dad would go out and monkey with it but I was the one who was supposed to know in what position the valves were set. Then one day Bud said he had a new job for me. I was now supposed to check a moth trap every few days and count and record how many got stuck in it. Again, I wasn't asked.

Jim and I spent the last three tree seasons in that stupid shed so Dad could have his tree sales. We had to put up with his abuse. Now we've been told that the buyer wants the trees cleared out before he takes posession.

Oh, please, hand me that chainsaw.

Anonymous said...

Well, it's cold comfort, but the new theory is that keeping moving GENTLY with a hurt back is the thing to do. No more lengthy immobilization.

Why does Bud Lyon care how much your water bill is?

Anonymous said...

That was anonymous Dean.

Donita Curioso said...

I'm not sure but I think he pays for half of it. So, yeah, maybe he's got a legitimate beef. Still, if I'm handling the water then he's not paying one of his guys to deal with it. I'm just so finished with these damn trees.

Anonymous said...

Oh is THAT what happened last night! I heard you call out for dad and it freaked me out a little. :P

Donita Curioso said...

Sorry about that.