Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Useless Boz

I found one more thing he stinks at. He's horrible on Mt. Rubidoux.

(Side note) I've been spelling Rubidoux wrong. I'm going to go back over all my old posts and fix it.

I took Boz with me on the Mt. Rubidoux walk. He pulled the whole time. He's always like this on walks. For the first 15 minutes he goes nuts. He runs around all over the place, peeing on everything in reach. He shrieks out these ultra high-pitched sonic blasts that tear through your ears. He has to challenge every dog that goes by, even the ones that could eat him whole in one bite. He pulled me up the mountain, he pulled me down the mountain. It was the pulling down the mountain that really got to me.

I had to struggle to stay upright. Even though he had settled down and wasn't screaming and peeing any more, he was still roaming all over the road. The little dim bulb wore me out. It wasn't a nice, satisfying "oh-I'm-so-good-I-exercised-today" kind of worn out. It was an "oh-gawd-I'm-going-to-lose-consciousness" kind of worn out.

Well, now I know. I took Boz yesterday evening because I thought that he, being a dog, could offer some protection since I was walking alone. Gracie can't handle a hike like that so I couldn't take her.

Gonna get some pepper spray.

2 comments:

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

Two words: choker chain. I use one only during walks. I learned this a long time ago when, while walking one of my past dogs, I car pulled up and revved its engine, frightening the dog so badly that he wiggled out of his collar and ran down the street. It took me forever to catch up and take control. And God only knows what kinds of things could happen to a dog running about frightened in the streets at night.

So, the dog may not like it, not to mention other walkers, but I always put the dog on a choker chain before going out into the real world. Eventually, they get the idea that prancing on ahead will make them uncomfortable. while walking beside me will be fun.

And I don't jerk them around, like some do. I think that's cruel.

Donita Curioso said...

Five words: Leave the moron at home.

We use to use a choke chain on Boz. He would practically kill himself because he never got the idea about not pulling. Anyway, these walks are for exercise and enjoyment. Boz just doesn't fit into that picture.

You know, if you had shown up for the walk I wouldn't have had to suffer so. I blame you.

Boz is Boz. If Gracie didn't have joint problems she'd be great on a walk. I used to take her on my walks around my neighborhood in Santa Rosa. I liked to go after dark because I could zip around the neighborhood with Gracie off leash and no one would see us. She sticks right by me and ignores people, cats and other dogs. She's also a bit scary looking.

Poor fat ol' thing. Now she can only go for short walks. Twice around the Christmas tree field is about all she can handle.

I'd rather walk Mt. Rubidoux with you. You are so much better behaved than Boz.