Tuesday, April 05, 2005

I'm getting it

Today I figured out that if I ask Dad a question his answer will most likely be wrong. Every day I ask him if he's taken his meds. He always says yes. That's the easiest answer so he goes with it. Now I know I have to dig deeper.

We went to the VA for a class on how to use his new blood glucose meter. On the way there I asked him about taking his meds (he said he had) and about his eating. He ate his lunch while I drove. His lunch was potatoes left over from breakfast and a big glass of milk. I told him I didn't think that was a good meal for a diabetic. He was in a cocky mood which made it hard to talk to him about all the things he should be doing.

During the class we set up his new meter. There is no way he could have done this on his own. It was pretty confusing. When we were done she had everyone test their blood. Dad's blood sugar was 431! We waited a few minutes and then tested it again. It had come down to 345. I asked him again if he had taken his diabetes medication this morning. He said he probably hadn't. My blood pressure took a little bounce.

We stayed after class so Dad could ask the nurse lots of questions and then not listen to the answers. He wanted her to explain the entire diabetes diet. She said he could come to their diabetes lifestyle class. She told him it's a six hour class. He said, "Sure, I'll come. That's great! Whatever it takes!" Hold on there, bub. Who's going to be sitting in that class with you for six hours?

On the way home he wanted to know EVERYTHING about what he shouldn't be eating. He want's it all written out on a big list he can keep in the kitchen. Not so cocky now!

We have to take Dad's care to the next level. I don't think he can deal with getting his own food anymore. He can't grasp the diet. He won't be able to handle testing his blood himself. His med schedule confuses him.

The Aracept is giving him intestinal problems. I'm going to call the geriatric doc tomorrow and see if he can be switched to Namenda.

Days like today are pretty stressful. When I'm done I really want to be done. But often what happens is Dad will come over and want to hang out. Sometimes he invents some little problem that he wants us to deal with. I understand that he's lonely so I try to be patient with him but, EEEEK, it really makes me tense. We're still at the beginning of this Alzheimer's thing. The day is coming when most of our time will be devoted to taking care of Dad. I don't feel too guilty about being a little selfish right now.

No comments: