Thursday, April 07, 2005

10,000 steps

I got a pedometer yesterday. At the prediabetes class they said we should try to get in 10,000 steps every day. When we walked around Lake Evans it took about 3500 steps. This morning, Sherri and I did the Mt. Rube walk. That's a whopping 8300 steps. Pretty soon I'm going to Costco. I'll bet I'll get the rest of my steps just doing that.

Exercise is truly the magic cure for stress. As I was driving home I was thinking about the things I want to get done today. When I thought about checking on Dad I noticed that it didn't set me off. I'm cool, baby.

Boy, Sherri and I are going to have to start walking earlier in the day. It was hot up on Mt. Rubidoux. And the smog is coming back. Oh well, life in Riverside.

3 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

Costco was almost exactly 1000 steps. I am so over my quota. I can sit on my ass and not move for the rest of the day. Well, no I can't. I have to fix dinner.

I am so de-stressed. Well, not completely. I went to the vet to get Gracie some Rimidyl and the girl at the front desk said it's been a year since the doc last saw her about her limping problem. She said it was last May. I told her it's still April and she said, "Well in a couple weeks it will be May. Nice try!" She wouldn't give me the Rimidyl! I'm going to take Gracie in tomorrow and give the vet an earfull about the little bitch.

But really, I'm pretty relaxed right now.

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

I wonder how many steps walking up to the cross would have been.

I agree about the stress. When I do exercise, I always feel relief from stuff I didn't know was stressing me out. Monday's walk and my work out at the gym Weds both had me in the healing mode. But one visit with Mom can suck that out of me. So, I gotta time those workouts for after the visit whenever possible.

I'm pretty sure I'll be there Monday.

Donita Curioso said...

Well, you can double the number of "cross" steps because those steps are extra big.

I'll add steps wherever I can.

If I'm going to use exercise as a stress reliever I have to do it a lot. If I skip a day it doesn't work as well. Your mom and my dad are our motivation. That, and the fear of diabetes. Yes, that's the bigger motivation.

It's working, I'm losing weight. That's a very nice reward.