Thursday, June 19, 2008

Trash day double dip (& Dude, where's my iPod?)

I love this. Ever since the move I've had more trash than I can fit into the cans. Especially recycling. I always have bags of recycling hanging around because there's just too much. I'm getting rid of mushed up boxes, newspaper that was used for packing, just a bunch of crap.

I've discovered that the trash trucks come up my side of the street first and then they turn around and pick up from the other side. If I run out and grab the cans as soon as they're emptied I can fill them up again real quick and drag them over to the other side of the street to be emptied again. I've got the bags all ready to go. Boy, it's the little things that make life fun, eh?

Tonight I went online to check my Wells Fargo Rewards points. I've been saving them up to get an iPod. In the fall when we rented all those dumpsters doing the farm clean up I racked up a lot of points real quick. When I checked my points tonight I was up to 57,985. The iPod I want is 37,000 points. When I clicked "redeem" it took the iPod off my list and deducted my points! But no confirmation! No shipping info! I was robbed!

I called their Rewards Hotline and talked to a very nice young man (it's like, 10:30 pm at the time) but he couldn't find any record of my lost points. I'm so glad I wrote them down before I tried to redeem them. He said I should wait a day or two to see if they went through. I'm going to call tomorrow morning and every day thereafter until I get my stinkin' iPod.

Goodnight.

5 comments:

vivage said...

hahahah, you'd better write your address on your trash cans so the neighbors don't think you're stealing their cans when you take the cans back to your side of the street. Maybe you could ask your neighbors if you can use some of their blue can space while you unpack and recycle?

Hopefully they'll be using your physical address for shipping and you'll see your ipod in your mailbox in a few days. Otherwise, go git em!

Donita Curioso said...

I don't think my neighbors really care. Besides, most of them are at work anyway.

I checked the Rewards site again. Those points were my total points from, like, forever. Before I redeemed them for Paige's iPod last summer. I really do have 18,000. I'm going to cash them in for a $150 gift certificate and just buy an iPod from Amazon. That's $180 with free shipping. That's good enough.

Or, if I wait until I have 20,000 points I can get a Cuisinart convection toaster oven. I might do that.

Anonymous said...

Very clever on the recycling! we used to not pay for garbage service because we'd figured out the schematics and timing of people emptying the dumpsters at SSU, so we'd take it all in to work with us. Then one day, the van broke down on the way there - it was a hot day too. We had to apologize over and over to the friend who came to rescue us because we had to transfer it into his car because the fix-it place would've freaked with a van full of by-then smelly garbage.....
Mary

Anonymous said...

My neighbors don't recycle. They think it's dumb. And they pay $4 extra for their garbage pick up every week because their garbage sticks out the top of their bin.

I had to talk about the neighbor's garbage because my garbage is uninteresting.

-dean

qulqygda--a story you tell about someone else because you don't have an interesting one about yourself

Anonymous said...

Aw Dean, that's really sad!(I think?)

Mary