Sunday, June 08, 2008

I'm beat

But I still have work to do tonight. We had the second yard sale yesterday. It wasn't the madhouse the first one was but we did get rid of a lot of stuff. I made about $250. Drew and Mindy were here to help. Thanks, guys!

Today Drew came over to help pack everything up. Actually, I helped him. He did most of the heavy lifting. The guy who said he was interested in buying all the rest of the albums turned out to be not that interested. He wants to pick and choose. That wasn't the deal. We'll probably try to find someone else who will take them. We loaded up Drew's truck and trailer and took the rest of the stuff to Second Time Around. We like them because they'll take anything. Salvation Army and Goodwill are too picky about what they'll accept. We also like Second Time Around because the gay guy who runs it calls everybody sweetie.

When it cools off a bit more I'll go back out and work on clearing the driveway. I cleaned up the front porch and swept the walk. Tonight I'll turn the sprinklers back on and get the lawn green again. Tomorrow after work I'll mow. I'll make it all nice and pretty out there so the neighbors will be happy.

This morning Drew brought over a truckload of my stuff that was being stored in the truck trailer at his house. He said there are two more loads. It'll be good to get it all here. I'll be spending the summer going through it all and organizing and cleaning and purging. I've already gotten rid of so much. It's wonderful.

But the house is still in chaos. Drew installed another ceiling fan and the cool light fixture I got on eBay. Getting that ceiling fan up off the floor will really help. Now I can assemble the shelves that were being stored on the front porch. It's that damn tile game again! Gotta do this before I can do that, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Ok, one more push and then I can shower.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know just what you mean about the tile game. You have to do this before you can move that and if you're going to do that you really ought to do this other thing... I usually throw my hands up and turn on the computer.

$500 in two weekends--not bad. In Texas they start garage sales on Fridays. I haven't got a clue why. Church on Sundays? Dunno.

-dean

Donita Curioso said...

Lots of people have them on Fridays here. I don't quite get it.

There should be a self-help book on organizing your life called Tile Game. Chapter 1, Stay Off The Computer. Chapter 2, Just Pick Something And Do It

Part of my problem is I can't find most of my tools. I need my rubber mallet so I can assemble these big metal shelves I got at Costco. Really, I should just go to Home Depot and buy one so I can get the job done.

EEEKK!!!!!! I've become STAN! His tools were ALWAYS lost so if he needed to do something he'd send one of us to Sears and buy whatever tool he needed. That's how we ended up cleaning 72,000 wrenches out of the barn. Oh nnnnooooooo!!!!!

zwygri- an elf who will put your stuff together if you give him a snack

Anonymous said...

RIGHT FOOT....LEFT FOOT....REPEAT

Perhaps people have garage sales on Fridays, as we learned from your blog, because of their being allowed one 3-day sale per year. (I think this is dumb........) But, if you have three days of successful good times and great sales in a row, and you want it to span a weekend, you've met your quota; otherwise, I guess you lose your opportunity for another yard sale due to, like, you can't have three Saturdays per year to make up for a Friday,Saturday,Sunday three-day(?).

I know, Doni! you should ask your family and friends to LOAN you some specific tools, which you SWEAR you will not misplace, and that way you can keep working productively and as soon as you uncover your own tools, you can return the borrowed ones! (Man, I am so full of good advice ~ sometimes I think that if Dean and I ran the world, it wouldn't be such a bad deal!)

;} Mary

khnmuak - Zwygri's dependent cousin who usually does the minimum amount of organizing and then expects the full snack option anyways!

Donita Curioso said...

The rest of my family is across town. It would cost me more in gas just to get over there to borrow the damn tools.

Ok, here's the next piece of the tile game. I'm going to keep moving boxes into the sun room and stack them to the ceiling. Then I'll move the rest of the stuff out of the garage and gut it. There are some completely useless cabinets and shelves in there so it would be better to start from scratch. Once it's empty I'm going to paint the walls white so I can get more light in there. Then I'm going to install the shelves and cabinets I brought over from the farm. I'll add some better lighting.

Once that's done there will be a place to put the tools. Then they will be happy little tools because they'll have a place to live. Once the workshop area is established everything else should be easier. I can build things.

But I do need to buy a mallet so I can assemble those shelves. I've got about 12 boxes of records in the garage that will go on those shelves. That's a lot of space to free up. Art supplies will also go on the shelves. Oh yeah, we're playin' the tile game!

I do think the world would be a better place of you and Dean ran it. Actually, all of my best girlfriends together could do a great job of making it all work. My sisters, too. And Drew. He'd be the guy of the group. And Ken. Ok, two guys. And Jon.

Happy Little Tools would be a good name for a band.

vivage said...

Maybe Fridays so you can catch all the people on their way to work or school and then have the best day, Saturday to get rid of everything else? I don't think many peeps go out for Sunday sales.

Harbor Freight is better for cheap tools. Better to spend 2 dollars for a mallet that you already have somewhere than 6 dollars at Home Depot.

I used to have a mallet, don't know where it is tho. hahahaha. My tools live in whatever place they've been set down from the last job.

Donita Curioso said...

Oh yeah, I love Harbor Freight. Those are the cheapest Chinese-made tools anywhere. I was thinking HD because it's closer.

vivage said...

Only by about a mile. Worth it.

Anonymous said...

Don't go to Home Depot--very republican. Lowe's is blue.

-dean

fgdodo--oh this one is too good. What is it?

Donita Curioso said...

Gay dodo? A dodo with more money than God who hires a Hollywood stylist that puts her in ridiculous clothes? A dodo that warns ships about the rocky shore?

Anonymous said...

All excellent. Slightly modified:

thugdodo--a neocon made extinct in the 2008 elections (knock wood)

-dean