Sunday, June 01, 2008

Music, banquet, Indiana Jones and a rear-end

Another full weekend.

Saturday morning I met Bill and Zoey at King to do a sound check for the song we were doing at the concert that night. It was King High School's end-of-the-year choir concert. She was singing I Will by the Beatles. Jeff, Bill and I were backing her up, the boys on ukes and me on a drum and singing harmony. We had practiced it on Thursday night and it sounded really good. Jeff didn't show up for the sound check. It only took about 10 minutes and they were able to set the levels without him so it wasn't a problem. But where was he? I called him. He had been rear-ended on the way there! It had just happened right before I called. We told him to meet us at this chinese place just down the street. Poor Jeff. He was pretty upset. His rear bumper now looks like a butt. We had lunch and then went next door to the smoothie place for coffee and smoothies. By the time we left he was feeling a little better but still not too happy.

I left and went to White Park for Paige's band banquet. Having it in the park was a really good idea. Since I had just eaten I wasn't interested in what they had to serve. Paige said it wasn't very good anyway. We stayed until after they gave out all the awards. I left and went back up to King for the concert.

They have it outdoors, which is nice, but the audience sits on a slope in lawn chairs. It's pretty uncomfortable because the slope is steep enough that you feel like you're going to tip over. I spent a lot of the time pushing against the ground to hold myself in the chair. They always start these shows with student soloists. It's basically karaoke. And, ahem, it's a public school, but they seem to forgotten the concept of separation of church and state. The kids pick their own songs but really, it was pretty over the top. Like, WAY over the top.

I was glad when it was our turn. Zoey did a great job. She sounded very sweet. The boys and I were, of course, awesome. Then we went back to our seats so we could get preached at some more. Then it was time for the choirs. It was a VERY long show. Zoey's choir did this really cool choral car song with choreography. After that, Jeff and I left, leaving Bill to shiver in the wind on his own. He had to stay. He was Zoey's ride.

We went to the Plaza and caught the 9:30 showing of Indiana Jones. Man, that was the perfect way to end that long day. We both really enjoyed that movie, although we could have done without the barrage of shitty commercials before the previews started. There was one that featured James Carville and Bill Frist getting lovey-dovey over a Coke. I told Jeff I was ready to barf into my purse. We were so happy when the movie started.

Man, we laughed the whole time! AND they included a Wilhelm scream! That's not a surprise, but it was pretty funny the way they did it. It felt good to laugh that much and I think it was exactly what Jeff needed.

Today was the uke circle. Wow, LOTS of people showed up today. It got pretty loud in the basement. Afterward, I went to Marie Callender's for dinner. Had a hankerin' for quiche and salad.

Good weekend.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I just put a Wilhelm Scream in the new disco song I'm working on called "Break my Face". Wanna do some disco uke?

Donita Curioso said...

Shit, yeah!

Unknown said...

How should we do this, then? Should I send a lyric sheet and an mp3 when I have it started?

Donita Curioso said...

Sure. I need time to figure out chords.