Friday, November 30, 2007

So much is happening now.

I really should post every day from now on. Things have really revved up. The clean-up pros with their big machines have been through here. It's looking pretty amazing and they've only just begun. They couldn't work today because of the rain. The front field is looking really sparse. So many trees have been taken out.

The dumpster didn't get delivered, because of the rain I guess. We've filled up several trash cans. Dad keeps walking around pointing out different things that he wants to take with him. We're all just saying ok, ok, and then he moves on. The packing has been going pretty smoothly for the most part. We have had a couple of Dad incidents but those were about the grader guys knocking down structures. He really got mad when they took out half of the big tree that's next to the driveway. They needed to get the overhanging branches off so they could get through. It doesn't matter what they destroy because it's all going to be scraped away anyway. But Dad doesn't have the capacity to understand so it's pretty traumatic for him.

This morning I went to the RCC HR office to fill out some paperwork. It was a big ol' packet of papers. I had to sign an oath of allegiance! I am now sworn to protect the Constitution!

I never considered that I would ever be someone who would be called upon to protect the Constitution. The president is supposed to do that. Freakin' Nancy Pelosi is supposed to do that. So, what if that was something every American was proud to do, instead of reciting the stupid Pledge of Allegiance? I was so surprised to see that page in the packet that I really slowed down and read the thing. I thought it was a pretty powerful statement.

I have to make an appointment to get fingerprinted. This afternoon I went to Health Services and got a TB test. Everything's on track but I can't help feeling that the whole thing could come to a screeching halt.

Tomorrow Dad is moving to assisted living. That day that always seemed so far off into the future is finally here. This evening Dede found Dad's scrap book from high school. This is something that none of us had ever seen. It was really fun looking through it. His whole courtship with Mom was in there. Lots of little cards and love notes. There was a letter from one of his buddies that was just hilarious! I'll post it here one of these days. That was the find of the day. Y'know, while he was looking through that book he seemed almost normal. He remembered a lot of details easily and discussed them without much fishing for words. He thoroughly enjoyed himself.

I'm so glad Debbie and Bob could be here for this. It wouldn't have been the same without them. I think it's also making it easier on Dad to have them here.

What a time this is.

13 comments:

vivage said...

It's great to hear he enjoyed himself looking at the scrapbook.

Wow, the day is here! Big stuff tomorrow. Good luck to all of you.

And hey, can your family spare you on Sunday to attend the Uke thinng for 2 hours? I'd really like you to meet Victor.

Donita Curioso said...

I can't spare me. On Sunday I'm hiring a couple of Paige's friends to help move stuff to storage. We're also going to take out garage cabinets, remove the plywood from our loft and load up my outdoor stuff. And we're still working on Dad's place. I wouldn't feel right about leaving. It's a bummer because I will have missed three uke meetings in a row. Maybe I can pop over for about half an hour. I dunno, we'll see.

And away we goooooo!!!!!

vivage said...

I betcha that your sibs could handle directing while you're gone for a little while.

But I understand.

Anonymous said...

Have you taken some pictures? I wish I were rich. I'd buy that place and put houses on it all lined up with big picture windows to take advantage of that view. Then you move into your new house the 9th, right? When do you start work?

They should pay you much more if you're going to be required to defend the constitution in this era. They'll at least have to put you on full time.

--dean

Donita Curioso said...

Virginia- I forgot all about it until 3:30. We just worked nonstop. It's almost all done. I hope Victor can attend another meeting sometime.

Dean- Stacey took a lot of photos of the clean up. We looked at them tonight and they're really good.

If this was my place and I had lots of money to play with I would have loved to turn it into an events venue. I would have turned the house into a party house with a professional kitchen. I'd fill in the poole and have the back yard landsacped all grotto-y, with lighting and real parrots and tiki torches and sculptures and a fountain and a koi pond. I would install sliding glass doors where the front windows are so you can open the house up to the front deck.

I make one of the back bedrooms into an office and the master bedroom would be where the bride and maids would get ready for the wedding. there would be mirrors along two walls, make up tables with lights, a sofa and some cushy chairs. I'd serve refreshments and champagne so it would be a fun little party. I'd put a curtain across the hall so they would have access to the main bathroom without being seen. My old bedroom would be where the groom and guys get ready. Same stuff in there but it would be dudely. The guys would use the blue bathroom. Jeez, the main bathroom is pink. How goofy is that? Of course it goes without saying that the entire house would be remodeled to the max.

The living room opens up to the front deck, the family room opens to the back yard. The kitchen would be ripped out and replaced with a caterer's dream kitchen. The dining room would be the dining room. Actually, more of a buffet room. Downstairs is storage and a small apartment where we could hang out during an event. We'd be out of the way but still on the premises in case we were needed. And by "we" I mean me and my staff.

The big yard is of course the main party area. I'd build a retaining wall on the sloping end and make a bigger level area. There would also be a driveway leading up to the stage. A new gazebo with a dance floor would be built. Great landscaping and lighting. Great sound system.

The alley behind the houses is where the caterer, band, dj, photographer and other support staff would park. The barns would be converted into space for storage, prep areas (floral, decorations), just whatever we need.

At the top of the hill would be a large, covered deck with a bar and serving area. This is another party area that takes advantage of the view. Air show parties could be held there. The barnyard would be almost exactly what it was when we first moved here. It was pretty much a classic barnyard. A great party place.

The front field would be parking and a park-like area with sculptures and landscaping.

Every holiday would have its own event. For Valentine's Day we'd offer a romantic picnic package with champagne, gourmet snacks, a photgrapher, music and dancing, flowers (a nose gay) and other mushy stuff.

For Easter, an egg hunt. Halloween would have a pumpkin patch, displays, photographer. And in August we'd have Smog Appreciation Day. Just a silly summer event with music, food, general summery stuff.

We'd have concerts here. Awesome, fun artists like Jill Sobule, David Lindley and Jonathan Coulton. Comedy shows, summer open mikes.

All this would only cost about four or five million.

Donita Curioso said...

Oh yeah. We move on the 12th. I have to call for an appointment to get fingerprinted. On monday I have to get my TB test read. Once all this is processed I'll start work right away.

Donita Curioso said...

Owa ta goo siam (say it three times real fast).

I got today mixed up with Sunday. I thought uke group already happened and I missed it. Doh!

Well, I'm tired and emotionally binked.

Anonymous said...

You want a goose lamp?

--dean

Anonymous said...

Oh what a goose I am! I thought the "l" was an "i".

Anonymous said...

I want a goose lamp!

vivage said...

HA, remember when I said, "Duck, duck, goose?" I guess the goose showed up!

Sounds like you guys are blasting thru everything. Yay.

Donita Curioso said...

Blasting and blasted. We're a great team.

Anonymous said...

Lindsay--

I have a fish lamp, but no goose lamp. You could goose a lamp. Would that do?

--dean