Monday, November 26, 2007

Not much happened today at work

I went to the district office and met with Debbie (my boss) and her assistants. It was very casual, friendly and short. One of the assistants took down some of my info and that was about it. They're going to have the HR people call me later this week. I need to go in for a TB test and they need to do a background check. After that I should start right away. Monday, Wednesday and Friday I work 8 to 12, Tuesdays and Thursdays will be 12:30 to 4:30. I'll be answering phones mostly plus doing some general office stuff. They do want me to know Excel, Outlook and Word so I've got some work to do. The computer stuff does make me nervous. I know it's not too difficult but it's a lot to learn all at once. I already have Excel and Word on this computer. I don't have Outlook. I'll see what I can pick up from the tutorials that Dean sent me.

So there you go. Nothing exciting. They told me that most of the time the office is pretty mellow. It gets crazier during registration but that's about it. I'm glad about that. I'll need some time to get myself up to speed.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Riverside Public Library has free computer classes. I see Word and Excel, but I don't see Outlook (Outlook's the easiest--it's just e-mail and a calendar.) Here's the November calendar of library events:
http://www.riversideca.gov/library/calendar/calendar-current.pdf

I don't see December. We have classes like these, too. They're a one-shot 90-minute thing just to get you started.

--dean

Anonymous said...

Dang. Wish I still had my intro to computer science textbook. It had painfully simple tutorials on Work, Outlook and Excel. I think you'll do fine, Momma. *hug*

Anonymous said...

Look at this:

At Riverside Public Library:

Computer Training
Daily at the Eastside Library & Cybrary
(at 11:00 am or 4:00 pm, see calendar)
Tuesdays & Wednesdays @ 9 am at Marcy
(limited space; call 682-5524 to sign up)
Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 pm at the Casa
Blanca Library & Family Learning Center

--dean

Donita Curioso said...

WOW! Thanks a heap! I can do it tomorrow!

vivage said...

Outlook is a snap to learn and use. I use Outlook at work and Outlook Express at home. If you have any questions at all, give me call.

There are a kajillion tutorials out there for Word and Excel and I'm always available for that as well.

If you're at work, just call me on my cell, and I'll walk you thru whatever you need to know.

Hey, those are some pretty cool hours.

Donita Curioso said...

Oh, you guys. You make me feel so loved and supported. I'm sitting here bawling my head off.

Heh! Is this the feel-good movie of the year or what?

Anonymous said...

First computer lesson: do not cry on the keyboard.

Donita Curioso said...

Oops. Shoulda told me that back in January. No wonder the keys stick on this keyboard.

Donita Curioso said...

I just checked the schedule. The Excel class is tomorrow. Today I shall pack.