Saturday, November 24, 2007

What a day!

Whew! It was such a whirlwind! Once we got the gates open people were coming in non-stop. Some people took five or six trees. It was really pretty fun, almost like a party.

Bill and Virginia came with Zoey and two of her friends. Brendan thought it was just wonderful that his teacher showed up at the farm. He really enjoyed goofing around with Bill. Seeing those guys was the high point of my day. Bill and Virginia told me that Zoey's friends' family doesn't have much money and asked if they could get a tree too. No problemo. It felt good to be able to do that. Bill and I delivered their tree. The father seemed very happy to get it.

But the day didn't start out too well. When I called Dad this morning he wanted to know what was going on today. I told him that today was the day when everyone was coming to get their tree. He flipped. He wanted to know who's idea it was. Who made the decision to do that? I told him we all decided. He wanted to know who was invited up here. I told him we all invited our friends and family. It didn't matter what I said to him, he was majorly pissed. He said no one ever tells him what's going on. I told him that we do tell him, he just forgets. He yelled, "I haven't forgotten a blessed thing!!!" And then there was a long pause. "This sounds like something Donita cooked up." Yep. He had forgotten who he was talking to.

After some more yelling I hung up and went over there to do morning meds. He was spittin' mad. I got to hear it all, mostly about what a huge liar I am. I just gave him his pills and left. Then Stacey called me to warn me about Dad being on the rampage. I said, "I know, it's my fault." He called Drew too. Everybody got an earful this morning. When Dede got here she calmed him down and took him to his new place to measure it. He's been wanting to do that to see how his furniture will fit. She kept him away for most of the day. They came back when we had a big crowd of people here. Since everyone was having a good time he just went along with it.

After we closed the gates we went to Olivia's for dinner. I'd had almost nothing to eat all day so I was ready for a good meal. And it was really good.

Some good news. I don't think I want to give the details here, but due to my having a connection at RCC I've been handed a job at the district office. I start on Monday. It's just part time for now, which is ideal. Gonna be a receptionist. I am so thankful for this opportunity. Really, it blows my mind. Getting a decent job was a huge worry for me and this could really lead to bigger and better things. Once I'm able to go full time I'll be eligible for some kickin' benefits. Hoo boy. I just hope I don't fall flat on my face. I really want to do a good job. I want them to keep me! Thank you, SB!

For tonight, a hot shower, jammies and a glass of wine. Tomorrow we do it all again. Well, fewer people getting trees but we still have to pack.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whee! Yea! Yippie! I am soosososoooo happy for you!! Woohoo!!!!!!

--dean

vivage said...

It fun, we had a blast.

btw, I think your benefits are pro-rated to the number of hours so I believe you get benefits just not at the full rate. If I were you I'd try and get 30 hours as soon as possible.

I'm just do danged tickled you got a job at a great organization! Wheeeeeee!

Anonymous said...

Yay! That's fantastic news! I think it's perfect that it's part-time at first! Congratulations!

Is it 4 hrs/day or 2 1/2 days per week?

Oh, and they're lucky to get you!

Nancy

Donita Curioso said...

Dean- Thank you!
Virginia- Oooh. I guess I'll find out about that.
Nancy- I don't know how it's going to boil down. I hope it's four hours a day.

Thank you, friends!

Dean sent me some tutorials so I get myself up to speed on this office stuff. Thank you, Dean!

Well, my eyes popped open at 2:30. But this time there are no worries bouncing around in the brain, just a massive to-do list. I'll do some computering and then go back in the house and work on the kitchen. Man, I wish we had a few more days to get stuff moved. But we don't, so there.