Monday, November 05, 2007

Today is Jim's birthday

Emotions are close to the surface. Doing ok, though.

Heh! The caps lock was on so at first I typed DOING OK, THOUGH. It completely changes the meaning.

I just want to talk to him, y' know? We talked together a lot. For, like, 34 years. I'd like to hear what he'd have to say about all this. Of course, if he were still around all this would be 50% different. I miss the conversations we'd have when he'd get excited about something. Those were fun. Enthusiastic Jim was fun to be with.

I told Kyle a funny Jim story the other day. This happened when we were first going together. I was at his house one afternoon, hanging out in the living room. The Smiths always drank bottled water that came in those big, glass Sparklet's bottles. I was sitting on the couch and he came in holding one of the bottles. He said, "Hey, Doni, CATCH!" and HEAVED the bottle right at me! I screamed and leapt off the couch. The bottle hit the floor and bounced. It was one of the first plastic water bottles!

Funny Jim.

Did some work today with Dede and Stacey. We're going to do one more dumpster weekend and then that's it. You can actually see progress now. The whole place is much cleaner. Still, lots to do.

Dede got my glasses back! Thank you, Dede! Yes, they are scratched and the frame is bent. Oh, well. Still, they're better than the drugstore cheaters.

Drugstore Cheaters would be a good name for a band. A band made up of fifty year olds.

I picked out upholstery fabric today! Eek! I'm getting this really cool, 1960's chair and sofa set reupholstered. It's a retro-looking black and gold fabric. (Did she say black and gold?) Yes, black and gold. It's not what I had envisioned but I think it'll look really cool on the sofa and chair. And when I think about how it will look with my lamps and art it's like, yeah, that's it. I'm getting excited about decorating my new house.

No pets on the furniture!

5 comments:

vivage said...

Errr, drugstore cheaters would need to be people under 50. Over 50 might be Drugstore Meeters.

Happy Birthday to Jim, pretty cool you had him for 34 whole birthdays.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Jim. Too bad you're not here to talk some sense into your wife. She thinks she's going to keep the dogs off the couch!

Heh heh.

--dean

vivage said...

heh, heh, heh, good point Dean.

Donita Curioso said...

Yeah, yeah, I know. Bozzie Soft Cushions won't be able to resist. But the dog policy is going to change. They're going to be spending a lot more time outside and at night they'll be contained in my bedroom. Lady can't be in the house at all because she pees. I'm going to fix up the studio space to be pet friendly. No carpet or precious furniture in there. When Kyle comes to visit with his cats they'll stay in the studio. I've got it all planned.

Like this but not that crazy. (Click on the cat photo) I'm going to make a floor-to-ceiling, rope-covered scratching pole that they can climb up to a carpe- covered shelf. I'll attach a ramp that they can use to get down. They'll love it.

The dogs will have dog houses with heating pads. Lady will need that. I'll also cut a dog door into the garage.

I love my pets but they don't have to be in the house with me all the time. Jim liked having a dog entourage, I don't. But that's what they're used to. Sorry, pups.

I was sitting in the front yard the other night. Gracie was laying on the ground next to me. Bozzie was at his post, watching the view. Katie and Zoey were perched on the arm rests of my chair. We were all just hanging out together. I thought it was kind of funny.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Jim. Sorry we didn't get to celebrate more with you :(
Doni- the reading glasses may be under a warrantee- might be worth checking out. Hope you find much happiness in your new house- wow- lots of changes as the year from hell comes to a close. Glad we'll be able to see Kyle & Lindsay at Christmas.