Saturday, May 26, 2007

Uncertainty

I haven't been here in a while. Yes, there's been restless uncertainty along with all those other emotions that are all balled up with grief, but what I'm feeling tonight is that cave-hollow ache that's been with me for four years. Ever since Jim lost his job and we sold our house and moved back to Riverside. Before Jim died it was the worst thing I wrestled with. I got so tired of it. There were so many nights where I sat alone out in the front yard just asking and asking and getting no answers. And then Jim died and everything changed. I had too many new things to deal with. Suddenly I was presented with a very long list of to-dos and I've been marking them off ever since. Uncertainty was put on hold.

But tonight it's crept back in and it still feels the same. That heavy, hollow ache. Where is this going? There's a story that's been writing itself ever since I was a teenager that has now taken off in a new direction. What if it doesn't turn out?

Before Jim lost his job I never felt this way. Yes, everyone knows life is uncertain but we don't (well, at least I didn't) go around feeling it and being reminded of it all the time. We just live our lives and make plans and set goals and try to achieve them. Or we don't. Whatever. I just always went humming along and never felt that uncertainty was a big factor in my life. It was no big deal.

This uncertainty feels the same but it's coming from a different place. Before it was all about Jim and the loss of his job and his inability to get over that loss. I wanted to give him time to heal but that healing never seemed to come. The longer it went on the worse I felt. I became more and more uncertain that we'd ever be able to get our lives back on track. Things did get a little better at the end but it was too late.

So, now what? Since Jim died my life seems to be about a series of upcoming events. I had/have this list of things I needed/need to do before I can start building this new life. I went to Texas, I put Jim's keyboards up for sale, I had the first yard sale. Next, we're going to Santa Rosa for Chelsey's wedding, then we're going to Santa Rosa for a longer visit and the Jim party for our friends up there. For a while now I've had this idea that when I get back from the second Santa Rosa trip it will be time to start the new life. I'll be looking for a job. I'll be making plans for where we're going to live after we leave here. But it's just an idea. It's not like I have any real control over what will happen. And even if I did I might really screw it up.

And that's a big part of my problem. I haven't been an adult on my own since I was in my early twenties. Back then it was all ahead of me and I had little to lose. I made so many mistakes. Some of them were big ones that really set me back and took years to recover from.

Another thing that's weird for me is the whole subject of relationships. I was with Jim for so long that all of my friends were his friends too. We were with other people as a couple. In their eyes am I still Jim's wife? Will it always be that way? I am single now. It's a strange thing for me to know that if someone were to ask me if I'm married my answer would be no.

It's all so weird. So foreign.

Ok, writing this has helped me to feel better. That awful feeling in my chest has gone away. Uncertainty has released its grip for now.

Man, that was kind of exhausting.

5 comments:

vivage said...

i know you've been looking at things like "I'm starting a new life" after the trips up north and when you decide to look for a job and all that. but have you thought that you're already in your new life and have been since the night of jim's stroke? and i have to say you've been very successful at living as donita all these months?

i know it's a different donita because now you think you have to define what donita is without jim but i see a strong woman who is already her own person with wide open avenues ready to travel.

maybe because i never saw you as a unit; dontitajim. no, i've always seen you as donita, and jim as jim.

idenity is a funny thing isn't it?

Donita Curioso said...

Oh yes, when Jim had his stroke my old life was over. And I've always had a strong sense of self all through my marriage. But we were together for a very long time and during that time all my decisions were made with him in mind. He was truly my other half as far as day to day living was concerned. So to now be on my own is something I have to relearn. I'm looking at this time, the time since the stroke, as a transition. I have to let go of the old life and the new one hasn't started yet. Not really. And like I said, this whole thng about the new life starting after I get back from SR is just an idea. I do know that I don't know beans about shit.

But I do feel that I have been (mostly) successful at being Donita. During all that time I was married I set aside certain pieces of my identity that didn't fit into my partnership with Jim. I think all married people do that. Jim was very accepting of who I am but he also wasn't comfortable with certain aspects of my personality. I was a bit too bold for that boy. I confront, I dive in, I swing out. I'm willing to take risks because I'm not as afraid of failure as he was. So while I was with him I had to tone it down.

And now I am unleashed. I don't have my consideration of him to make my decisions for me. That's one of the things that boggles my mind a bit. It's not like I'm going to suddenly go crazy and do wreckless things. But that part of me that I set aside is now standing here clapping her hands and saying, "Ok, let's get to it!"

And I do remember that she didn't always know what the hell she was talking about.

vivage said...

i like it, donita unleashed.

Donita Curioso said...

Oh yeah, woo-hoo! Gonna set the world on fire...

...probably by accident.


Hey, I had fun at your house tonight.

vivage said...

us too, it was a crack up. and fun to listen to you all.