Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Getting ready for the yard sale

I'm starting to load up the truck with books and stuff, things I won't fret about if they get stolen. I'm going to take them down to the sales shed and store them in there until the sale. I want to take things early so I'm not stressed the day before the sale. I've been looking up prices for the books, marking them and putting them in boxes. So far, so good. I've found some that are worth enough to hold onto for an eBay sale. I'll deal with those later.

Today I did some work on the workshop area. There's a LOT of electronics stuff. Just little bits of dinky things mostly but there are a few larger items. I'm putting everything into an electronics grab bag, really a box, and marking it $50. There's at least one item in there that retails for $50 so I'm sure the buyer won't be disappointed. It's all weird stuff that normal people wouldn't have the slightest clue what to do with but I'm hoping to draw some nerds to the sale. The whole time I was loading up that box I kept thinking about what Jim would say. I also think about that when I'm looking up the prices on his keyboards and gear. This is all so weird. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't like it but what the hell am I supposed to do?

I went through a lot of the tools. When I move I'm only taking things that I know how to use. I want my garage arsenal to be lean and mean without a lot of junky bits. The junky bits make me crazy. And I don't need three hack saws.

Today was productive. I'm not going to sell the Halloween stuff at this sale. I'm doing another one in September so that will be a good time for selling Halloween. I'm also starting to think I should have a sale in August. We'll see how this one goes.

Man, it's going to feel soooo good to get rid of this stuff. Everywhere I look there's clutter. It seems like half of it is stuff I don't know how to use, or even what it is!

4 comments:

vivage said...

make art out of what doesnt sell.

Anonymous said...

I'm telling you, tossing stuff is one of my favorite things. I'm looking forward to being ruthless when we move the end of June.

--leg

Donita Curioso said...

Virginia- Or I could make a fire out of what doesn't sell.

Or...I could take it to Goodwill. Actually, I'll do that after the September sale. I'll save what doesn't sell this time. I'll just bring it back up and stick it in the apartment. It'll already be sorted and priced so most of the work is done.

Dean- I've often thought that once a year I'd like to move completely out of my house, purge the hell out of everything and then move back in. Everybody bitches about what a huge job moving is but I think it's a fantastic opportunity.

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm not THAT happy about moving, but I know what you mean.

--leg