Monday, May 28, 2007

Party at Ken's and Open Mike

It's hard to type. I must have done something to my wrist on Saturday. Strained it, maybe. Yesterday afternoon it started to ache. By evening it was hurting every time I turned it a certain way. It hurts when I try to pick something up with my right hand. Can't turn a door knob with it. I found Jim's old wrist brace and slept with it on last night. Today it still hurts. Anyway...

Yesterday we went to a party at Ken and Sherri's. Lots of people showed up, the usual crowd of family and friends. Such nice people. We had a barbeque and some people swam. The water's still too cold for me. Strange to go to a party at Ken's without Jim.

Afterward I came home, freshened up, cleaned out the car and went to pick up Jeff and Bill to go to open mike in Claremont. When I'm with the two of them I usually don't say much. I just enjoy listening to them knock it around. We went to dinner at a snootyish restaurant. I had this Carribbean combo that was mostly kind of boring. We weren't planning to perform so we could take our time having dinner. A nice change.

A much smaller crowd last night, probably because of the holiday weekend. It was the usual kind of open mike. Some people were very good, some pretty much sucked. At the break I was outside chatting with Bill and Mac. Mac asked me if I was going to perform. He requested that I sing Bosom. Mac is always one of the best performers at open mike so for him to compliment my song was a great big ego feed. There was still one slot left in the second half so I signed up.

The last time I sang it was at the folk festival. I got so nervous I could barely sing it. I don't know why that's happening to me lately. I think it might be because I no longer have Jim's solid keyboard playing to accompany me. I have to get used to performing on my own. Last night I could feel myself getting jumpy as the second half started. Luckily, I remembered that I had some of my Propranolol pills with me. I take it when I need to shut off my tremors and since it's a beta-blocker it's also good for stage fright. By the time it was my turn to perform the jumpiness had subsided. I didn't have any problem singing and the audience enjoyed it. Whew.

After open mike I took the guys back to Bill's. Since it was still early I thought it would be nice to stop in and visit with Virginia. Jeff decided to stay for a while so we all hung out in the living room playing ukes and visiting with Virginia and Zoe. What a nice way to end the evening.

Today I'm goofing off and babying my sore wrist. I'm going to give it a couple days to see if it gets better. If not, I'll go to the doctor. Gotta walk later. Pay bills. Nap.

4 comments:

vivage said...

yah, that was fun. and hey, ice the wrist. I'm doing that on a regular basis and it helps.

Donita Curioso said...

Thank you. I always forget to do stuff like that.

Donita Curioso said...

I just printed out 5 copies of Paradise By The Dashboard Light by Meatloaf. I have always wanted to learn and perform this song. It would take a while to learn but I think it would be so damn much fun and it would be really impressive to perform, especially if we pulled it off unplugged. I'm going to learn it on my own but if anyone else wants to jump in I think we'd have a great time learning it.

It's 8 1/2 minutes long! Almost a mini rock opera. It's vocally heavy but the chords are very simple. The arrangement I found has some wrong chords so I need to take a little time to fix it up. But I can still work on the vocals.

It might take the whole summer but so what?

Donita Curioso said...

Ah. My wrist is better today.